MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Cable cutter for Snares?

@Jason73 grind your axe elsewhere man. You can argue back and forth all day but all you’re succeeding in doing here is just making a bunch of people not like you, I’m sure that likely doesn’t bother you though. Sorry you had a bad experience with it but as an active trapper and wildlife biologist I can guarantee you legal regulated trapping is one of the greatest conservation tools wildlife managers have in our toolbox. You got a lot of pain about your dog but it’s also apparent you're very uneducated on the subject of trapping.

In your own admission it was an ILLEGAL conibear set that got your dog. If the neighbor had decided to shoot your dog would you be advocating against guns now?! Go bark up another tree and start your own thread about how bad trapping sucks if you want to whine. These guys here in this thread are talking cable cutters and are offering suggestions on how to PROTECT dogs or did you not read all that? There are quite a few hunting methods I think suck but I’m not wasting my time or anyone else’s campaigning on here about them. You aren’t changing one person’s opinions by griping to a bunch of trappers about trapping.

I do know what I'm going to trap. Experienced trappers know how to set the trap so it has the highest probability of catching that target animal. Accidents do happen, just like people shooting to far, to fast, and being poor in marksmanship skills.

I haven't caught a dog in 44 years of trapping and only 1 fox, and 2 mountain lions that wasn't suppose to be in the trap. I caught an extra Fisher once, and that's because they only allow 1 per person five in region 2 and quota was filled. The trap was set for Marten, which is the same set for a Fisher.

I know of many big game animals that are packing arrows, or blown off legs from hunters. Do you wish to have this conversation?

Sorry about your dog, I bet that more dogs die from the next door neighbors shooting them because they stray over the property line.

A poacher is a poacher, and what they do should have no bearing on legal sportsman's activities.

You do know that Big Fin is a Trapper too?
Ok, good to know. I wasn't aware having an opinion on this forum wasn't allowed.

In 40+ years of bird hunting, I've had dogs in traps twice.
First time was in norther Idaho hunting pheasants, my lab stepped in a leg hold trap for coyotes.
I saw it when it occurred and it was easy to release and the lab was wagging her tail
and we went on to hunt pheasants the rest of the day.

Second time was in Alaska cross country skiing.
My lab was on the trail just ahead of me but I could not
see him because it was up around a bend in the trail.
I heard the lab screaming,
and as I approached the dog there was blood on the snow.
A leghold trap and the lab had cut his gum biting the trap.
Scary at that instant. Once again, easy to release the dog and he was wagging his tail with no damage.

That trap was right off a trail so I'm assuming a newbie trapper...
In Alaska, most traps are set on "traplines" that are off any major trail
and typically traplines are posted with a sign a the beginning of the line.
So it is easy to avoid those traplines.

I'm not worried about leg hold traps in more open country where I can see my dog quartering.
I'm worried about snares which might be set in dense cover that holds pheasants here in MT.

I'm not worried about leg hold traps in more open country where I can see my dog quartering.
I'm worried about snares which might be set in dense cover that holds pheasants here in MT.

There's a thing called a power snare that has a big rod that is bent together. When the animal hits the snare cables the power rod slams the snare down tight to the loop. This kills really quick if not taken off right now. I think these need to be illegal on all public lands. To easy for a dog to get in while hunting.

There's a thing called a power snare that has a big rod that is bent together. When the animal hits the snare cables the power rod slams the snare down tight to the loop. This kills really quick if not taken off right now. I think these need to be illegal on all public lands. To easy for a dog to get in while hunting.
Those are our snare options in Sask. i think Most people would prefer free hangers as they are cheaper and work just as good. The power snares still need a good tug to set off. I have put my foot through the cable at least a dozen times and never caught my foot. If a dog was snare or leash trained chances of death would be minimized a lot. Where I would worry is a pointer cause they are a few hundred yards away versus my lab which is 20-30 yards from me always. I have had a few dogs that wander from miles and hit my power snares. Thankfully they were use to being on a leash and just sat there and I was able to release them

Those are our snare options in Sask. i think Most people would prefer free hangers as they are cheaper and work just as good. The power snares still need a good tug to set off. I have put my foot through the cable at least a dozen times and never caught my foot. If a dog was snare or leash trained chances of death would be minimized a lot. Where I would worry is a pointer cause they are a few hundred yards away versus my lab which is 20-30 yards from me always. I have had a few dogs that wander from miles and hit my power snares. Thankfully they were use to being on a leash and just sat there and I was able to release them
Just to be clear. This is what we are talking about?
Ram power snare

Yes they are all we can use on the farmland here
I understand the thinking. In the video the guy said they saw a wolf get in the snare and he died in around a 90 seconds span. That's not much time to get your dog out. I'd have to check but I think they aren't legal for wolves here on public lands.

I understand the thinking. In the video the guy said they saw a wolf get in the snare and he died in around a 90 seconds span. That's not much time to get your dog out. I'd have to check but I think they aren't legal for wolves here on public lands.
He’s exaggerating. I have used them lots and ya they kill coyotes good but a low neck catch on a coyote and they still put up a fight. Like I said they take a good pop to actually set off. That coyote feels it around there neck panicks and lunges then it actually goes off. Of the animal doesn’t tug they won’t go off. Often fox tangle and choke up on a tree and don’t actually set the ram off. If I could I would use free hanging snares. Way less cost way easier to hide then those huge springs and it’s my understanding with the sennecker locks the coyote hits the end of the cable and is dead.

He’s exaggerating. I have used them lots and ya they kill coyotes good but a low neck catch on a coyote and they still put up a fight. Like I said they take a good pop to actually set off. That coyote feels it around there neck panicks and lunges then it actually goes off. Of the animal doesn’t tug they won’t go off. Often fox tangle and choke up on a tree and don’t actually set the ram off. If I could I would use free hanging snares. Way less cost way easier to hide then those huge springs and it’s my understanding with the sennecker locks the coyote hits the end of the cable and is dead.
I had a woman call me last year before our legislative session. She and her husband were hunting upland game birds in December over near Glasgow Mt. They were on public lands and working a thick draw. One dog disappeared as quickly as they moved into the draw. They called and nothing happened. They started working all the trails in the draw and that's when they found their dog. He wasn't dead yet, but very close. They had wire cutters and a Leatherman, but failed to get the thing off quickly enough. While they were frantically working the snare over, the other dog came up missing. Long story short, they found that dog and saved him from another powersnare. Some how the guy was able to cut the snare at that point. So they were asking me if I would support some sort of legislation to ban that type of snare, or at least ban them from public lands. There was a bill submitted but it didn't get any traction. At a min. I think there should be signage.

I had a woman call me last year before our legislative session. She and her husband were hunting upland game birds in December over near Glasgow Mt. They were on public lands and working a thick draw. One dog disappeared as quickly as they moved into the draw. They called and nothing happened. They started working all the trails in the draw and that's when they found their dog. He wasn't dead yet, but very close. They had wire cutters and a Leatherman, but failed to get the thing off quickly enough. While they were frantically working the snare over, the other dog came up missing. Long story short, they found that dog and saved him from another powersnare. Some how the guy was able to cut the snare at that point. So they were asking me if I would support some sort of legislation to ban that type of snare, or at least ban them from public lands. There was a bill submitted but it didn't get any traction. At a min. I think there should be signage.
The worst part is if you bend those rams slightly all you do is twist the lap link and it’s unhooked off the spring. A little education and they should have saved both dogs as a ram can be unset in seconds versus trying to cut cable with a leather man. I’m surprised a hunting dog pulled hard enough to set one off. Like I said I have accidentally put my foot threw them lots as I walk the trails while I check snares. Most hunting dogs are trained pretty good about not pulling on a leash (except mine) mine almost chokes himself out on a leash lol

Pretty sure those were illegally set. Can’t use them in Montana to my knowledge

And dogs.

So tell me this. If a trap or snare injures or kills a $4000 bird dog/family pet, what is the trapper's liability?

And for how much?
If it’s set legally? $0

Maybe it’s time we start looking at closing all bird hunting down December 1st in Montana and have snaring season start after that. Bird hunters have already been at it for 3 months. Might as well give the trapper 1 to maybe 1.5 months of good fur season. Then we can eliminate the conflict

Last edited:
If it’s set legally? $0

Maybe it’s time we start looking at closing all bird hunting down December 1st in Montana and have snaring season start after that. Bird hunters have already been at it for 3 months. Might as well give the trapper 1 to maybe 1.5 months of good fur season. Then we can eliminate the conflict

First off, I am a half a** trapper. Caught 3 bobcats a few mink and an ermine so far this season.

I have almost lost 2 of my labs to snares. I was not bird hunting, just out exploring a couple of drainages a few miles from home. Thankfully, I was able to get the first one off just as my dog was laying on the ground taking his last breath. After that I bought a cable cutter and take it with me any time I am out with my dog in the fall and winter. Glad I did, as I needed it after my new lab got caught in another snare a couple years ago. Both of my dogs were/are great on a leash but they freaked out when caught in a snare.

I have also found two large male lions caught in snares. I informed the warden about both. By the time he got to the first one, the trapper had removed it and shoved it under a cutbank along the creek near the fallen tree across the creek where the snare was set. The second one was dangling in a creek from the log where the snare was set. The warden put up a camera, but the trapper never returned within three weeks. The warden eventually removed the lion and snare. I have also found 7-8 dead deer in snares. I fear that with FWP allowing wolf snaring, a lot of dogs and non target species are going to get caught and die. Lots of guys out there that have an irrational hate for wolves and not a lot of common sense about where and when to set snares. The more this happens the more it will end up on the news and social media and the sooner trapping will end via citizen initiative. The best thing for trapping is to keep it out of sight and out of mind of most of the population.

As to using trapping as an excuse to close upland bird season a month earlier, that is a great way to piss off a lot of bird hunters and turn them into anti trappers. I did submit a comment against the proposed extension of upland season until the end of January. I even used conflict with trappers as one of my points, but that is not the main reason that I oppose the expansion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back