Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Cable cutter for Snares?

I need a conibear to practice with. I have nightmares over this.
When I was a teen our neighbor put a conibear on our fence line. My dog didn't come home one night and after a search I found him. Ever since I've had a hatred for trapping. Like they say....one bad apple can ruin the bunch.

From researching trapper websites, it appears there are 4 favorites among trappers:
HIT
Felco c-7
Knipex
American Cable Cutter from the Snare Shop

I am also purchasing a beeper collar I can remotely control to quickly locate the lab if she dissappears
in dense brush or cattails and there is a possible problem such as snared.

I have reset body grips with a rope when o forgot my setters and honestly it’s tough I couldn’t imagine doing it with a dog thrashing around. Might be better to carry an actual pair of setters in a back pack.

Lots of states I think have size limits on body grips on land. Feel like a snare is more likely to catch a dog then a body grip trap.

I have reset body grips with a rope when o forgot my setters and honestly it’s tough I couldn’t imagine doing it with a dog thrashing around. Might be better to carry an actual pair of setters in a back pack.

Lots of states I think have size limits on body grips on land. Feel like a snare is more likely to catch a dog then a body grip trap.
I think you are right but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Just ask my dead Blue Healer. Trapping sucks and should go away.

We use a wonderful little cable cutter to cut seals off rail cars at work. I’ll check on what those are and report back. Lightweight enough that if they end up in a cargo pocket all day, you don’t mind them at all.
Have made thousands of cable cuts with a pair of these. Still haven’t wore them out

I’m sorry you lost a dog, but I wouldn’t go that far.
Came across a red fox stuck in a snare just crying. Put a round in him because a bullet is much more humane than a wire on a leg or a snap trap around a pets neck. I'm in no way a peta person but trapping sucks. Grab your rifle or bow and put an animal down. Calling trapping hunting is bs. Probably ruined the pelt on that fox but the poor thing was suffering immeasurably.

Have made thousands of cable cuts with a pair of these. Still haven’t wore them out
We were down to one pair at work and we use them weekly. After seeing this thread I did some looking and bought some more for backups. Ended up buying the last few that Kaatz Bro Lures had and they said they won’t be getting anymore soon. Had to buy a couple from Wildlife Control Solutions for personal use and one for a friend who runs bird dogs too. Great little tool!

Came across a red fox stuck in a snare just crying. Put a round in him because a bullet is much more humane than a wire on a leg or a snap trap around a pets neck. I'm in no way a peta person but trapping sucks. Grab your rifle or bow and put an animal down. Calling trapping hunting is bs. Probably ruined the pelt on that fox but the poor thing was suffering immeasurably.

Good for you for breaking the law. Odds are he was a complete waste after that

Good for you for breaking the law. Odds are he was a complete waste after that
Oh, so it's cool to let the ****in thing suffer with his leg stuck crying for the next 12 hours? If it's illegal so be it.

Calling trapping inhumane is like calling hunting inhumane. Yes not every catch is perfect. Foot holds don’t hurt animals it just holds them. I’m sure not every animal you shot has died instantly one bullet. Sure there has been the odd leg and gut shot

Oh, so it's cool to let the ****in thing suffer with his leg stuck crying for the next 12 hours? If it's illegal so be it.
Not calling you a liar, but I've personally witnessed many animals in traps. If they cry out, it's usually right after they get in the trap. After a few minutes the foot numbs up and the animal calms down. Most anti trappers have horrendous stories claiming brutal savage suffering after being trapped.

. Snared dogs usually lay still and also wait. They might fight if they haven't had a leash around their necks, but the seven I've witnessed in 50 years just laid there until I released them. A conibear is a different animal. Usually it's a beginner trapper or a poacher that sets this type of trap that a dog can get into.

To paint all trapping with such a wide brush is akin to saying all hunters suck after witnessing a wounded animal limping off with a blown off limb. Maybe finding a bird with a broken wing that can't fly after the hunter left because he couldn't find it.

Not calling you a liar, but I've personally witnessed many animals in traps. If they cry out, it's usually right after they get in the trap. After a few minutes the foot numbs up and the animal calms down. Most anti trappers have horrendous stories claiming brutal savage suffering after being trapped.

. Snared dogs usually lay still and also wait. They might fight if they haven't had a leash around their necks, but the seven I've witnessed in 50 years just laid there until I released them. A conibear is a different animal. Usually it's a beginner trapper or a poacher that sets this type of trap that a dog can get into.

To paint all trapping with such a wide brush is akin to saying all hunters suck after witnessing a wounded animal limping off with a blown off limb. Maybe finding a bird with a broken wing that can't fly after the hunter left because he couldn't find it.
My dog was killed in an illegally placed conibear. That fox was stuck at 9 pm. You don't know what you will trap. When gun hunting you are after a specific animal. If you have an elk tag you don't shoot the deer that happens to walk by because it happens across your "line". How often are species wrongly caught and killed just tossed in the ditch? I bet more frequently than is reported. Probably is never reported.

My dog was killed in an illegally placed conibear. That fox was stuck at 9 pm. You don't know what you will trap. When gun hunting you are after a specific animal. If you have an elk tag you don't shoot the deer that happens to walk by because it happens across your "line". How often are species wrongly caught and killed just tossed in the ditch? I bet more frequently than is reported. Probably is never reported.
I do know what I'm going to trap. Experienced trappers know how to set the trap so it has the highest probability of catching that target animal. Accidents do happen, just like people shooting to far, to fast, and being poor in marksmanship skills.

I haven't caught a dog in 44 years of trapping and only 1 fox, and 2 mountain lions that wasn't suppose to be in the trap. I caught an extra Fisher once, and that's because they only allow 1 per person five in region 2 and quota was filled. The trap was set for Marten, which is the same set for a Fisher.

I know of many big game animals that are packing arrows, or blown off legs from hunters. Do you wish to have this conversation?

Sorry about your dog, I bet that more dogs die from the next door neighbors shooting them because they stray over the property line.

A poacher is a poacher, and what they do should have no bearing on legal sportsman's activities.

You do know that Big Fin is a Trapper too?

BTW, the Fox was legal, 1 lion pulled out when a pack of wolves came in, and 1 lion was killed by the Game Warden's I called because he was in such poor shape they didn't think he would live very long. He was starving to death. There could be a good argument supporting the the trapping of that lion as more humane than what was in his future.

The Fisher was turned over to the Fish & Game. They mounted it and now its in the Office.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back