PEAX Equipment

BWCAW Bear?

mnelkhunter

Has anyone hunted in the bwca? I have been interested in doing a bear hunt in some of the burn areas where the berries are? I have a couple points built up. Not asking for any spots at all, but maybe previous experiences up there.

I have not personally, but know a couple guys who have. They had a blast, and had they not been hunting for a particularly large bear, (with archery gear) they could have been successful. They even had a bear raid their camp while they were hunting.
I grew up hitting the BWCA every year or so and always wanted to go back for bear with my muzzle loader .
Always saw bears along the shoreline back in those days. Fantastic place.

It's been on my list of things to try. I think it would make for a great trip if you'd mix some walleye and laker fishing in with it, and maybe some grouse hunting.

That said, I spent a ton of time up there in the burns in 2011 and 2012 scouting and hunting for moose and we never even saw sign of a bear. We did see some bear hunters on Kawishiwi Lake. I think it would be a tough hunt, but very fun and rewarding. I haven't dealt with bear meat before but I'd think it could spoil easily so you may need to stay pretty close to your entry point.

You may want to stop by a ranger station. It seems to me they had a map with some pins in it marking problem bears. It could give you an idea of where to start.

Good luck!

You may want to stop by a ranger station. It seems to me they had a map with some pins in it marking problem bears. It could give you an idea of where to start.

This is probably where I would start too. If you look at the harvest reports, don't be fooled by areas where there is a lot of baiting happening off of the BWCAW.

We have seen a few bears up there the last 3 times we have gone. Try to take a family trip every year up there. I was thinking of looking at the ham lake fire area. Still pretty open, but the berries have really popped up. Definitely be for the adventure. Not set on shooting a P&Y bear, but getting an opportunity would be awesome. I know a few guys who work for outfitters, and they have a really high success rate. I hate treestands. I'm not against baiting, I just can't stand waiting.

Last edited:
We have seen a few bears up there the last 3 times we have gone. Try to take a family trip every year up there. I was thinking of looking at the ham lake fire area. Still pretty open, but the berries have really popped up. Definitely be for the adventure. Not set on shooting a P&Y bear, but getting an opportunity would be awesome. I know a few guys who work for outfitters, and they have a really high success rate. I hate treestands. I'm not against baiting, I just can't stand waiting.

I wondered about the fire areas. I was wondering about the bears having enough cover.

I went up in 2010 I believe with 3 other guys, Area 31 on the fringe of the BWCA. Hunted near a burn area, just happened to be a bumper year for berries and the bears were abundantly found in and around the berries everyday. We weren't after monster bears by any means, more for the experience and hopes of having a chance at a bear. Long story short, we all tagged bears, no giants by any means but all in the 5-1/2' range. Some of the mosquitos may have been bigger than the bears

Have a cabin in the Brimson area.. Father-in-law has shot multiple bear in the area. I will draw a tag for the area next year, very excited!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
240shooter
Back