Burris FF E1 vs Nikon Prostaff P3 / P5

WoodsQuest

I currently have a Burris Fullfield E1 3-9x40 that I find very reliable and the clarity / image quality / light transmission seems to be very good. I don't have a ton of disposable income so $300 or less for optics is where I'm at. A few years ago I picked up a Nikon Prostaff 7s 10x42 bino that I really think was a heck of a great buy. When I bought the Nikon it was the one time money wasn't much of an object and I had about $500 to spend on them. I still picked the $200 Nikons over some $350 binos from other brands. I need a second riflescope and thought about getting a Nikon Prostaff P3, 3-9x50 or Prostaff P5 2.5-10x42SF. The P5 has a side focus parallax adjustment, which given where I hunt probably would never be used. I can't seem to find any definitive answers about which riflescope is "better". It seems that question results in many subjective answers. I do not know a lot about optics, but would appreciate the opinions from those who have used one or all of the riflescope I've listed. If the Nikon is inferior I could easily grab another Burris since I like the one I have. Thanks for taking the time to read/respond.

I found the P3 to have quite the fish bowl effect when I looked through it. It has a 2-piece tube, which is often touted as less desirable/less durable than a one piece tube that your Burris has. If you like your Burris FF E1, I saw that Sportsman's Warehouse has them for $199.99. I've also heard recently that Nikon is moving away from riflescope focus, and they are not going to be offering their lifetime warranty going forward. Granted, that might be hearsay, but it was from multiple sites. So that being said, I've also noticed that there are a ton of deals out there for Nikon scopes right now.

Bottom line, I don't think you'll regret going either way if you find a configuration that you like from either company.

I checked out the Burris last time I was at Cabelas. I'm no expert but I thought the view was very good but I did not care at all for the ultra fine and floating reticle.

I am pretty sure they just announced that after current inventory is sold that they are out of the scope business altogether.
I'm not sure if they've actually announced it... but it's all but confirmed. I'm surprised but not shocked as they have taken some heat from their camera customers for selling scopes. Too bad as Nikon glass always looked pretty good to my eyes. And I bought a new Monarch a little bit ago before the warranty change (great timing on my part as usual). Speaking of warranty, I'm not sure what they are going to do about that; maybe hold some inventory back to address defects?? I imagine this is the reason for dropping the no-fault.

To answer the original question, if you can hold out, I'd look for a good closeout deal on a Nikon over the next few months but I'd be buying with the assumption that if something goes wrong a few years down the road, you're SOL.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back