Yeti GOBOX Collection

Burning rate charts

WDSWIFT

Is there an independent lab that does a burning rate chart or does each manufacturer do thier own?
The chart that I had had these powders (fastest to slowest)lined up in this order; 3031,ww748 & H335 approx.=,4064 & Varget approx.=, H380,ww760,then 4350.
Today I pulled up a chart that showed (again fastest to slowest) 3031,4198,H335,4064,RL-15,Varget & ww748 approx.=, then H380,ww760,4350, etc etc.
Any ideas on which one is right? It seems that the one I pulled up today...the mid range rifle powders are in different order, but the slower ones (than ww760) are right in order as the origninal chart I had.Thanks for any help or direction.WD

Swifty, the second one looks more correct than the first one... I believe that W748 and H380 are the same powder and W760 and H450 are the same. They are all military surplus and the slower ones are about gone...I know that there will be no more H450 and I have been unable to get anyone at Olin to answer my questions about 760. The best chart that I've seen is in the NRA Information Section of the Library...I'm not sure who compiles the informatin, but it seems complete and accurate...You have to realize that these are burning rate comparisons and in no way indicate that actual burning rate of the powders..... :cool:

Thanks for staightening me out on this Dan.

I guess what confused me was that the fast and slow powders were lined up almost identical on both charts, but from 3031 to ww760 they were in some cases not even close together. The reason I felt confident in the first one I had was that from what I'd read and seen the 748 and H335 were relatively close, and was given to understand that Varget and 4064 were practicly one in the same in burning rate.
So when I saw them all scattered out it kinda startled me. :( Thanks again! WD

Mike, As I stated, I can't get an answer from the folks at WW...If and when I hear anything, I'll post it...Until then it's anyones guess. :cool:

Mike, I'm going to stick my neck out on this one and tell ya that I don't think WW is going to drop 760. I have asked this same question on 2 other boards, and contacted some "inside purchacing" folks at 2 good sized shooting supply establishments and no one has came forward and said they heard it. In fact the one supply establishment assured me that if WW was going to drop 760 they'd have known about it by now.
The other reason I don't think they will is because of WW's marketing strategy on powders. If you notice, WW is a pretty big player in the shooting sports industry, and they have only 3 or 4 different powders for sale. Smaller companies have double that. WW's strategy on this is to have a powder in each quadrant of the burning rate chart, and that the powder be user friendly (drop easy and consistant). WW dropped 780 about 15 or more years ago which was slower than 760; now if they drop 760 they have effectively cut off all of their slow burning end of their marketing strategy.
Lastly, my information has it that Hornady and others purchace large amounts of 760 for their premium varmint ammunition, as it and 748 will work at least "acceptable" in most varmint rifles and again, is easy to work with in thier production. Here I'd have to agree with that from my experince with these 2 powders. If someone was to give me 4 different varmint rifles this afternoon and want them shooting good reloads tomorrow morning, these are the first two powders I'd reach for. I've yet to find anything that will out shoot 760 in the 22-250 and the swift, yet work quite well in the 243 and '06. Just my 2 cents worth. ;)WD

Swifty, I agree with WW strategy in the powder market, but didn't they recently introduce a new slow powder called MRP? Similar in burn rate to the old Norma MRP. That would make it just a little slower that 760. I would feel better if WW would come back and say NO that they were not dropping 760. :cool:

Danr, the only MRP I've ever seen was carrying a Norma brand name. If Winchester is selling it I haven't seen it around here and don't recall seeing it advertised.
Don't hold me to this but I think its burning rate is down somewhere between RL19 and IMR 7828 (slow) it is about where the old ww780 used to be (when we were both a lot younger). Since ww still probably owns the rights to the "780" label I'd have thought they'd have went with that name.
Yep! I'd feel better about it if WW would just say they aren't dropping it too. I wouldn't dance a jig or any thing but I'd probably break out the Burgundy for sure!! ;) WD
4/20- WW's new powder is called WSX, advertised to be a 7mm Mag powder. Pulled it up on their website.WD

[ 20 April 2001: Message edited by: WDSWIFT ]

[ 20 April 2001: Message edited by: WDSWIFT ]

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back