Bullet Selection for 300 WSM

Prairie Hawk

I'm considering using a Barnes Tipped Triple-Shock X bullet for open country deer/antelope and possibly elk. Any suggestions on bullet weight? Anybody have any experience with lead-free bullets?

I shoot a 300WSM with Barnes triple shock 165gr. and in the 3 yrs i have been shooting them i have yet to have an antelope deer or elk take another step after being hit with one...

I have not used the barnes, but in lead free the Nosler E-Tip in 180 has performed very well for on elk. Havent shot anything smaller with them though.

I have been shooting nothing but Barnes TTSX since they came out. Cheaper alternative to the MRX and same performance in my opinion. Using 66 grains of IMR 4350, my best group has been .650" at 100 yds. I'm shooting the 180grain bullet in my 300WSM.

As far as bullet performance on animals, i don't think you will find many people at all that have NOT had great luck on animals. I have never shot a better bullet as far as hammering animals.

Thanks for the feedback - I'm leaning toward the 165 gr. I'm guessing the the TTSX won't damage as much meat as a thinner jacketed lead bullet.

Doesn't the bullet's length have to be a lot longer to get 180 grains out of a barnes verses 180 grains out of a copper jacketed lead bullet? I suppose you could make the copper bullet less aerodynamic or chubby nosed. Has anyone compared bullet lengths of the same grain? I'd worry about bullet length in a short mag seems how the actions are shorter.

havent killed anything with em yet, but I loaded 168gr TSX and grouped well. Thats on my 300RUM.

Doesn't the bullet's length have to be a lot longer to get 180 grains out of a barnes verses 180 grains out of a copper jacketed lead bullet? I suppose you could make the copper bullet less aerodynamic or chubby nosed. Has anyone compared bullet lengths of the same grain? I'd worry about bullet length in a short mag seems how the actions are shorter.

Probably, but you can shoot a lighter bullet, faster using the TSX. They actually work better. Faster lighter when using Barnes bullets.

I'd try the 150 TTSX if you wanna go that way and or the 150 E Tip. Now if you're using the lead free cause you have to I understand using it for lopes/deer. But if you don't have to by law then I see no need for a preme bullet on that kind of game.

For my 300 shorty mag I'll be toting the 155 Scenar and R17 this year for all that moves here. Or if I can get the 168 NBT to shoot well that one will do as well.

I load Nosler 180gr. Accubonds atop 65.5gr. of IMR4831. These chronograph at 3000+/- 10fps deviation. They are extremely acurate at 200 yds. plus. I have used them to take 5 african plainsgame animals, a very good mule deer, several feral hogs and a good aoudad. The only animal that did not have a complete pass thru was on a Burchells zebra that the bullet entered the left shoulder and ended up against just inside the skin on the right shoulder. All others were complete pass thru shots. All were one shot kills at varying distances from 60 yds. to 200 yds. plus. MTG

Dang it. All this bullet talk has me wanting to do some experimenting with 150 grn barnes. I don't have the time.

Back