Bull down in MT

This hunt was over the last two weeks....lots of rain and fog to deal with. elk were vocal first few days, then shut up. Had a lot of close calls lastweek. Had a really good bull at 100 yards and the wind changed. He was a solid 340 bull, was within 90 yards of a good bull that would have pushed 350" the first morning I was up there lastweek.
Needless to say, I was itching at work this week. Then I got stuck working Friday, not getting in a single hunt. Had to work a bull sale at a ranch here too on friday night. So, Saturday I was up and on the hill by 5 am. It was foggy so I was just listening to the bulls and cows talking. That is how I knew where to move. It was really wet with the mist from the fog, thank god for Riverswest! As light broke, I knew I had to move and fast. I could hear the elk moving up another draw. Not the one I set up on. Had to go down and thru, then up and over. Was not bad, got there in time to hear, but still not see the elk. They were still below me. As if on cue the wind picked up, moving just enough of the fog to show me the elk. They were 600 yards out and closing, fast, had to get to the bottom of the draw fast. One problem, it was wide open sage. I got within 80 yards of the tree line and I saw antlers. Had to get down, two bulls were on the opposite side of the draw about 100 yards up the side. Out of range of course, I saw some cows cross lower on my side and they were going to give me fits if the wind held. I had to make a choice, I dawned the "cow" hat and started cow calling.
The bulls looked at me at first and then slowly turned and fed toward me. Then the 6x6, started trotting. I did not have an arrow on or a range to were he would be. I uickly nocked an arrow and took a range. Got my Epic camera running and he was there. I drew and cow called to stop him.....
As the arrow let the air out of him, I cow called to stop him. He tipped over less than 20 yards from first contact with the arrow.

Here are a few more pics....
I spent the night in the rain to make sure I was above them in the morning...
Hunting2010006.jpg

Taking a look...

Hunting2010005.jpg

Here is my first load out...

Thanks to Mystery Ranch...love my crew cab....
Hunting2010017.jpg

Hunting2010015.jpg

As wet as it was...great boots are a must...these were a life saver...
Hunting2010019.jpg

Text of you bull down can be helpful...a buddy was hunting close and came to help on te second load....
Hunting2010021.jpg

The best bulls....in the truck...
Hunting2010023.jpg

Woah, i missed part of that.........you saw a 340 and a 350 and you didn't wait????
Do those hats not work for the big ones??:):) lol

I have problems with self restrained...and I have not killed enough to be that selective. My theory is you hunt hard enough...you will get a big one sooner or later....I don't shoot rags. I say everytime I let one walk...I should have.
Guess we won't know about the hats until next year, unless Mark kills a big one. This one was big enough.

Congrats on a nice bull! Looks like a great day of hunting and advertisting. I like the color on the bull's rack in the top photo and that sweet window decal.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fingelfinger
Back