Buffalo Bore 30-06 Supercharged Lead-Free 168gr TTSX

A207X2

I've been a big fan of Buffalo Bore ammunition in my handguns for many years. My wife's SigSauer P238 .380 carries the 100gr +P hardcast flat nose, and I carry the Outdoorsman .45 ACP +P 255gr hardcast flat nose in my 1911 when fishing.

I haven't looked at 30-06 ammunition in years, but I took a look at the Buffalo Bore site and noticed that they have the round listed in the subject. The ballistics look impressive, and it's tipped with a TTSX bullet.

Anyone tried these in the field on elk?

Buffalo Bore 30-06 Supercharged Lead-Free 168gr TTSX

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
If your rifle will shoot them into 1 1/2" or less, "perfection"! I've loaded the older Barnes 165x to 2800, killer load. I've loaded the newer 168 TSX to same speed, seen the 168TTSX/30-06 used on hog, again, perfect. We used the older Barnes 180xbt at 3050fps on Plains Game , wicked killer. At 3000fps you are into "300 H&H Magnum" range, wonderful combo! I would clean my barrel well, wipe it with EezOx then start shooting. It may take 3-10 rounds before your barrel "settles down" properly fouled to shoot well. Don't get discouraged if it takes 10-15rds even. If your rifle will shoot them, it will tell you in less than 20rds. Good luck to you pard.

That's moving. I used to shoot 168 grain TTSX just a smidge over 2800 fps. With that velocity I would have 2200 fps out to 484 yards.
That's some good elk medicine right there.

In 2017 I shot a bull with a 300 Win Mag and a 165 TTSX moving at about 3080 FPS. He was about 200 yards away and upon impact it literally looked like someone pulled the rug out from under him. Bang, flop, a few twitches. That was it. Left about a 2" hole on the opposite side of the ribs. I was impressed. That being said, I have had poor results with barnes bullets on smaller game like deer and elk. I switched back to accubonds as I have great performance on all game with them. YMMV.

I'll have to say 3000 FPS is impressive. Unrelated, but I actually offloaded my 7 and 300 mags last year and put together an '06. Couldn't see the point in the extra cost and recoil when the 180 accubond takes me out to 550 maybe 600. Which is all I am comfortable with any way.

If elk is you intended target shoot that load with confidence.

I just checked their website their listed mv is 2900 fps for that load.
3000 fps your mv over chrono?

Back when I was shooting a .30-06 I was happy to get 3000 fps with my 150 grain handloads, and that was through a 24" barrel.

I'm getting 3250-3300 fps with 168 grain TTSX and TSX bullets from my .300 Weatherby, and they have proved very effective on everything up to and including elk.

I loaded my 30-06 with 165 TTSXs to about 2900 and used it to kill an elk 2 years ago. It all depends on if your gun will shoot it accurately.

If I had it to do all over again I’d used Accubonds for some more shock value, but dead is dead even if the elk ran a little ways. No telling if it would have run just as far if I’d have used other bullets

I just placed an order for 2 boxes (40 rounds) of this. I'll see how it shoots It'll be awhile before I can shoot it (upcoming shoulder surgery), but I'll just keep it with the rifle and drool..... 🤤

Hey Mountain, can you tell us what powder/load was used to get that 3000 with the 178 AH in that 30-06? Did it have a 24" barrel or longer?

Hey Mountain, can you tell us what powder/load was used to get that 3000 with the 178 AH in that 30-06? Did it have a 24" barrel or longer?
I was over on their forum and there is not information on the powder except it's a faster burning powder than you'd expect. I'm guessing they don't want to divulge right now because of the risk of way overpressure loads.

I was over on their forum and there is not information on the powder except it's a faster burning powder than you'd expect. I'm guessing they don't want to divulge right now because of the risk of way overpressure loads.
Yep. This. And Hammer is recommending only handloaders experience in developing loads with unpublished data attempt to do so. More info will come out on their site. I believe the test rifle was a Remington Long Range. These have a 26 inch barrel. I think it might be the rifle I saw the owner of Hammer a cow in the Breaks st 504 yards with. Anyway, pretty exciting stuff. Especially without proprietary powders. mtmuley

I sure like the 165gr TTSX bullets using IMR4350 in my 30-06. Last week I shot my 3rd bull with the load I came up with. My daughter used it on a bull and buck as well. Nothing has gone more than 70 yards and all four bulls have been mature 6 points or better.

Back