Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Browning BPS Jam

3855WIN

My reliable shotgun jammed up dove hunting last weekend. I had fired two quick shots, then it wouldn’t action the next Shell. It was locked up mid stroke. The button that allows the action to slide wouldn’t release it. The gun was new around 2005.

Got the BPS out after posting. Action worked, no problem. I guess it just didn’t want to work in the field while the gun and spent shell were hot.

My BPS is picky about shells, doesn't like cheapies, and really prefers high brass, but it is much older, and I don't feel like it was always that way.

For all you BPS owners. I have a Brother-in-law that likes to dove hunt and was looking for a good shotgun for a left handed shooter. His budget is pretty tight so I suggested he look at a BPS as an option. Have you guys been happy with your BPS shotguns for the most part? Are there others you would recommend for a lefty? He would need to keep the price under $600.

I have had this happen multiple times while in the field. Maybe 5 or 6 times in the past three years. Nothing will piss me off more than when I need a follow up shot and the pump sticks and won't eject. Just keep trying to open the action and after multiple partial pumps it will finally open. Mine was also bought new in 2005. Why? I haven't figured it out. It's happened while the gun is in a hot dove field, and after the first shot of the day stalking pigs. I don't think it's because of shells because it has happened while hunting dove, squirrels, ducks, and pigs. All different shells and mostly high brass. I'm trying to take better care of cleaning the internal parts, but I'm really not sure how much of a difference it makes.

For all you BPS owners. I have a Brother-in-law that likes to dove hunt and was looking for a good shotgun for a left handed shooter. His budget is pretty tight so I suggested he look at a BPS as an option. Have you guys been happy with your BPS shotguns for the most part? Are there others you would recommend for a lefty? He would need to keep the price under $600.

I'm a lefty and got the BPS because I wanted I pump. I shoot left handed, but do everything else right handed including load. I hate to part with my BPS for sentimental reason, but if I buy another shotgun it will be a Remington 870. If your BIL loads right handed it might be a good option instead of spending a lot on a lefty gun. I'm envious of my brother's 870 when I grab it. It just carries and shoulders so evenly. His was bought used in 1999, and has never had an issue.

It is an ambidextrous gun. Tang safety and bottom eject. I purchased mine because my right handed son could also shoot it.
If dove hunting was my main use, I might look at a cheaper O/U.

Buddy had the same issue with his. We took it apart & cleaned the internals & found the cartridge stops had come out of their tracks, making it difficult to chamber the next round. Might be worth a good strip & clean to see if that fixes it. They're not too tough to take apart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back