Broadhead details/opinions

I have killed elk with fixed blades and mechanical broadheads. I generally try to stick to fixed blades for the larger animals but will throw in a couple of mechanical broadheads in my quiver if the state I am hunting in allows it. I shoot the VPA broadheads in 100gr. I love these broadheads! They are almost indestructible, solid blades that don't bend or break. I can easily sharpen them if needed. I have found that proper set up of the arrow is more important than just the best broadhead. I use HIT inserts to increase FOC and total arrow weight. I was a big fan of the Ulmer Edge mechanicals, but since they stopped making them I have switched to the Sevr mechanicals. I killed my best bull to date with a Schwaker mechanical, so even the cheap broadheads can work if you put the arrow in the right spot.

whatever you are comfortable and confident in shooting, that is the answer.

I shot slick tricks for a long time and I think they are great. For the last 2 seasons I have shot iron will s125. I recognize they are extremely expensive but for my setup they are absolutely lights out. They are the most accurate broad head I have shot and they devastated my cow this year. I shoot a 70lb rx3 turbo with a 27.5” draw. My arrow is an Easton hexx 4 fletched with aae max stealth and 75 grain brass insert. Im pushing 17% foc and 472 grains @281 FPS.

this year I pulled my shot at 38 yards and went through the shoulder of my elk. I believe the slick tricks would have done just nicely with good shot placement. It still bothers me that my placement wasn’t perfect Because I know I shoot better than that and I practice to make great shots. However I am also a realist and I designed my arrow and chose the iron wills because sometimes it isn’t perfect and I believe they will Get the job done in those situations so I’m not wounding and loosing an elk. There is also probably a placebo effect too but whatever I believe I shoot the iron wills best so it’s what I’m using

Back