Broadhead details/opinions

CTELK83

Hey all, was wondering what thoughts were on what grain braodhead to use for elk?? So I have tried many, many different heads over the years. From thunderhead, to rage, to swacker, muzzy, rocky mountain titanium, Solid, Iron will and most recently Viper trick. Of all heads ive shot, I liked Swacker, Solid and Iron Will... I am not crazy about mechanicals for elk, so theyre out. The cost of Solid and IW pushed me away. Viper Trick pro SS in 100 grain are what I used last year. Was able to harvest a whitetail and sika deer with them. Very happy with everything about the Viper tricks. Flew the best of any head ive shot with the best penetration. Main question was what grain head do you all shoot? Should I consider moving up to 125 grain? I am going to have to buy more heads and arrows before this fall so if I'm going to switch its now or not even a possibility for a couple years. Thanks all

Been using 100gr G5 Strikers for 7 years now and 7 bulls in a row, all pass throughs but one that was quartering away and it went in front of the hip and was protruding in front of the opposite shoulder . Furthest one went 100 yards. I aint changin.

Been using 100gr G5 Strikers for 7 years now and 7 bulls in a row, all pass throughs but one that was quartering away and it went in front of the hip and was protruding in front of the opposite shoulder . Furthest one went 100 yards. I aint changin.
+1
c.png

Personally if you can shoot something accurately and it's sharp then I'd shoot it. 100% against mechanical broadheads.

I lean toward 2 blade cut on contact broadheads and although have never shot an elk with my bow I like how Magnus Stinger 125 grains (with bleeders) fly for me.

Last edited:
I think taking into account your entire arrow weight, FOC, kinetic energy produced will help you decide what weight of a broadhead you should shoot. You might already have a heavy enough setup that adding 25 grains to your head won’t make much difference, or you might come to find your way light and will need more than just broadhead weight.
There is a lot of info out there on ideal arrow weights and foc, it might help you dive a bit deeper into making your broadhead decision. I know I personally had to reconsider my setup when I started hunting more than just whitetails. I was shooting too light of a setup.

Keep shooting your 100gr Viper Tricks. Lots of ways to add weight where and as needed to get the overall weight and foc where you want it. Replacement blades are the same for the 100 & 125s, which means the diameter is the same and the 25gr difference is in the ferrule head itself. You like ‘em. Keep slinging ‘em.

Last edited:
+1 to what Slm864 said. There’s a whole lot of voodoo that goes into arrows - spine, insert, FOC, fletch, total arrow weight... I shoot 125 gr DaySix EvoX because they fly better, and group better out of my bow than the 100 gr.

Ya, there seems to be a ton of info out there that ive never paid much attn too... I shoot 70lbs and arrows are FMJ. Forget the length at the moment. But I'll spend some time seeing what I can come up with
Thanks all

Ya, there seems to be a ton of info out there that ive never paid much attn too... I shoot 70lbs and arrows are FMJ. Forget the length at the moment. But I'll spend some time seeing what I can come up with
Thanks all
There are a lot of threads on this subject here already.
You can get field point test kits from 3 rivers archery and I believe lancaster, to see what shoots best for you.
Shooting 70lb for elk, I wouldn't go lighter than 450gr total weight, broadhead weight is totally up to you. Its hard to get a high FOC on the FMJ arrows without really driving up your total weight which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

So honestly its whatever you have faith in. I personally don't shoot fixed anymore. I run mechanicals and have for many years now. I love the grim reaper broadheads, i have shot the whitetail specials a long time at many game animals. Biggest one was a bear 300lbs. Havent drawn an elk take in a long time. I switched to their hybrid line from the whitetail specials, just to try them out. Im in love gonna run them this year for fall bear again. Will use the whitetails for back up. Mechanicals have come a long way as have bows. Ive never not had one open, beside the bargin bin brands. Also all the shots have passed through, with the exception of a coyote i pinned to the ground. Broadheads i think are like bullets. Everyone has a brand and specific type of bullet they swear by. Just try some out and see what you like.

Solids, IW, Viper tricks......leading edge with a long primary main blade, moderate bleeder blades...perfect

There really are so many good blades on the market today. Personally I like a 2 blade cut on contact. Just less friction involved so takes less momentum to get through a animal. Sharpness is really important. Many swear by single bevel blades. I think one of the best are the Day 6 blades but they are pricey and there are cheaper that will work. Valley showed some pics of some Cutthroats that look very strong and wicked on this thread. I just bought some Alien Matrix 125 gn blades out of Australia at under 8 dollars a blade and look like a 25 dollar a blade broadhead. I've heard good about Slick tricks, Iron will, some of the magnus blades like the cutthroat have good reputations. I'd go 125 gn or more. You almost can't have too much weight up front. The 125's generally have a little thicker blades and steel everything in your broadhead. You don't want any aluminum in your broadhead. A solid blade will make less noise in the air and be stronger.

I’ve been using 100gr ironwill outfitters. I’ve never shot an animal that it did not pass through 100%. 100 bucks for three but they fly like a field point. And lifetime warranty. Highly recommend looking them up.

Sounds like you have ran the gambit on them like many of us have. I have finally settled on slick tricks. I have been through many of the ones you listed and everything in between and have yet to find one that flies like it does and maintains a good sized cutting blade that actually works well on game. I think I have killed 5 or 6 deer and a bear with them so far with great results. I shoot a recurve a lot these days and at one time really loved Cutthroat broadheads. However, I no longer have any left due to the 4 I had being either in orbit somewhere or lost in the woods since I spent quite a bit of time getting good at missing when I first started shooting traditional.

I exclusively shoot 100 grain Iron Wills. I had a complete pass through on a moose at 75yds two years ago and took my elk at 95yds last year.

To expand on my above: You can find these weighted inserts on Amazon pretty cheap. These are just over $1 each, and come in 12 packs of 50, 75, 100, 125, 150gr, etc. This one is a 100gr has a 25gr back end that can be left or removed, so you can very inexpensively try out different weights and foc values with your existing shafts and see what flies the best and gets you to the weight you want.

22D1D823-D352-4376-A53B-452011AB2581.jpeg

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back