Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Breathable hot weather hunting boot?

Levajo

Currently, I have owned a pair of kenetrek mountain extremes since 2017 and they have served me well in Montana. However, I just returned from a turkey hunt in Kansas and had blisters on my heels from hiking fields with temperatures in the upper 80s. During early archery elk in Montana, I usually am at elevations around 8,000ft and the temperatures were not as hot. I am looking for an early season boot that has ankle support, but is a bit more breathable. My feet tend to run pretty hot and these hot weather hunts are not fun when my feet are on fire and blistering on the b acks of my heels.

Any recommendations out there for a lightweight breathable early season hunting boot?

Crispi Thor, breathable and good ankle support. My favorite early season hunting boot when the temps are in the 80s - 90s. I’ve hiked through nasty lava fields with these and never worried about rolling my ankles.

No ankle support but I wear Under Armor Valsetz hikers for antelope when warm out. Just gotta be mindful of cactus. I also have a pair of Hanwag hikers that are not bad in warmer weather.

For hot weather I wear Lowa Zephyr Mid-TF GTX, light and breathable. I've worn them from sub-Saharan deserts to rolling Saskatchewan plains and I have no complaints!

Were your boots insulated? I have the non insulated mountain extremes and have hunted in 90 degree temps... no problems. I have a lame ankle, so I sacrifice a lighter boot for support and confidence. Otherwise I’d probably hunt in crocs

Were your boots insulated? I have the non insulated mountain extremes and have hunted in 90 degree temps... no problems. I have a lame ankle, so I sacrifice a lighter boot for support and confidence. Otherwise I’d probably hunt in crocs
Non-insulated. My feet run really hot.

I like my Merrell MOAB Ventilators for warm weather dry hunts. However, I overall still prefer the waterproof MOAB as the morning grass is pretty wet even when it's warm.

I wouldn't waste your time looking for a hunting specific boot. Go to REI or some other store that carries a bunch of hiking boots and try a bunch on. Salomon used to make some pretty good ones but their quality has gone downhill. I would look at Scarpa, La Sportiva, Salewa, Lowa, Hoka, Asolo, etc. I would be looking for ankle support, heal lock, and a stiff shank. A good boot is going to cost you around to $200. The other question to think about is whether you want a waterproof boot, or not. If it is really hot weather, the waterproof liner is not going to breath nearly good enough to let the sweat out.

If you want a hunting specific boot, I would look at the Crispis. They seem to have some models that ride the line pretty well.

These have been popping up on my feed....Zamberlan Lynx GTX RR BOA uninsulated...just over 400 bucks
1622221817037.png

I have been doing most of my warm weather hiking in Garmont T8 Bifidas lately. Good supportive sole, very comfortable after break-in. Fairly budget. Very breathable compared to lots of other boots. Dry fast. Only cost like $140. They are an Army approved uniform boot, so you do have the tactical kind of appearance.

Last edited:
I just picked up Zamberlan Boltoro Lite hikers. Damn comfortable boot. Not many miles on them yet but having usually spent around 2- 250 jumping up and spending 350 seems worth it. They were true to fit. A bit different feeling than traditional hunting boots, took a minute to get used to how locked in your foot feels. Think I'm a believer in the light weight hiker. Probably have a better review after September.

Buy a pair of light hikers. I live way down yonder mongst the cypress trees and alligators in the moist dank armpit of America and never had a hot spot, never had a blister. They don't hold up in hard daily use, but if you're just hiking or seasonally hunting you'll be fine.

Back