Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Brand new to coyote hunting. Would appreciate any advice.

dannyb278

Thought about getting into coyote hunting this winter here in southern Minnesota. Trail camera inventories taken this year indicate we have a few coyotes that reside on/travel through our 300 acres.

Fawn survival seemed very high this year, so I don't think they are decimating the areas already large deer herd, but I'm always looking for more ways to spend time in the field and a few coyote hunts would tide me over until spring turkey.

Our farm is a mix of hardwoods (100 acres), CRP (50 acres) and ag field (150 acres) along the Minnesota River valley. As of right now I plan to hunt with my 25.06 or lever action 30-30.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated in terms of calling tactics.

WGI_0017_zpsvnbgu7zc.jpg

WGI_0016_zpsmbldxxr9.jpg

Last edited:
Thought about getting into coyote hunting this winter here in southern Minnesota. Trail camera inventories taken this year indicate we have a few coyotes that reside on/travel through our 300 acres.

Fawn survival seemed very high this year, so I don't think they are decimating the areas already large deer herd, but I'm always looking for more ways to spend time in the field and a few coyote hunts would tide me over until spring turkey.

Our farm is a mix of hardwoods (100 acres), CRP (50 acres) and ag field (150 acres) along the Minnesota River valley. As of right now I plan to hunt with my 25.06 or lever action 30-30.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated in terms of calling tactics.

I'm not sure where your property is, but are you sure you can hunt the MRV with a rifle?

I'm not sure where your property is, but are you sure you can hunt the MRV with a rifle?

I just looked in the 2015 Regs. There is very little information about coyote hunting in general other than that you must be using a shotgun if you want to hunt at night and use a light.

Everyone I know that hunts yotes in MN use rifle and hunter during daylight hours.

As far as I know, hunting coyotes with a rifle is 100% legal provided you are doing it during the day and not during deer season in shotgun deer zones.

I also wouldn't be surprised if WMA's near urban center limit gun use to shotgun, but as far as I know in my area near Mankato no limitation exists, especially on private land.

I just looked in the 2015 Regs. There is very little information about coyote hunting in general other than that you must be using a shotgun if you want to hunt at night and use a light.

Everyone I know that hunts yotes in MN use rifle and hunter during daylight hours.

As far as I know, hunting coyotes with a rifle is 100% legal provided you are doing it during the day and not during deer season in shotgun deer zones.

I also wouldn't be surprised if WMA's near urban center limit gun use to shotgun, but as far as I know in my area near Mankato no limitation exists, especially on private land.

Cool,. good luck ! I was curious because a lot of the state uses shotgun only unless up north. I believe you can bait, but that takes time, money and patients. I can only suggest you do what I have seen others do...get a caller and start calling. You also might want to check with all the neighbors to get permissions so you have more land. Too bad it's not closer I would ask to join you if it were closer :) always wanted to lay the smack down on a few. I suggest a call to the DNR to make sure about the rifle where you are as well just to make sure.

I'll give a few.
First be very careful getting in and out of your setups you cannot be to careful k9's learn fast.
Second call from an angle they wouldn't expect to be harassed by people.
Third try to set up so you can see as far down wind as possible.
Fourth find out what sounds other callers in your area like to use. Then use a different sound.
Lastly if you are averaging 1 yote in 10 good setups you are doing well in my area. So don't get discouraged while learning.

Like elkmagnet said, don't be discouraged if you call and call and call and nothing comes in. I normally stay on each stand about 15mins or so. If you have bobcats in your area you might want to stay a little longer, those suckers take there time coming in most time.

I prefer to hunt them at night but i just moved to TN and you can't night hunt here, I have not even seen a coyote here but I did call in a bobcat and smoked him.

I have a foxpro shockwave caller and I start off using lightningjack sound and then mix up other sounds in there as I see fit. Check out the foxpro website.

I have been out of the coyote calling game for about the past 10 years, 99% of my kills were done at night under the light of the moon. 3/4 moon or better. Like others have said, don't get discouraged, it took about 20 stands before I pulled the trigger the first time. it far from hunting in texas.BTW all my hunts were using a rifle state wide.

Thanks for all the advice. I've hunted 3 sets so far and haven't seen a thing. Going out again this weekend and borrowing my Father-In-Laws digital caller.

Back