Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Bow Sight Advice

Bokeh

Preparing to buy my first bow after all these years. My oldest son has settled in Bozeman and he is having too much fun chasing elk. So, I'm diving in. Why not add one more obsession?

I have not selected a bow yet. There is a good shop nearby (southern NH) that sells all the major brands. I liked the "bow guy" right away. He wants me to come in and shoot them all, spend a few hours, then choose. He declined to recommend a particular brand. Seems like pretty good service to me.

Here's the question. At my age I now need reading glasses. No problem shooting a scoped rifle and I shoot shotgun weekly with no problems either. What about bow sights?
What do I need to know? Will "reading glasses" vision be a problem?

I am sure the guy at the shop can help, but I would appreciate any words of wisdom from guys who have a similar situation. Setup and brand recommendations would be helpful. BTW, it's my first post here after reading for a year. Great forum. Thanks in advance.

I hate wearing my glasses while hunting. Pretty much because I hate cleaning them off from the sweat, dirt, extra shine from sun, etc. I would suggest when you are trying out those bows you shoot them with your glasses on and see how it feels. Especially if you know you need to wear them while out hunting. It is kind of annoying having the bowstring pressed up against your glasses, but if your glasses fit snug you will get used to it.

You're off to a good start. Finding a good shop with a good tech where you feel comfortable is important. You can also rest assure that regardless of what brand/model you buy, they're all good nowadays. You will spend 4-5 on a respectable package from pse, bear, diamond. You will still invest 1-2 in arrows,release,target, etc. The higher end bows are going to run 6-12 for just the bow, then 3-5for gear. You will potentially feel you have a hard time focusing the pins and target at the same time. This is a common occurrance that most shooters have. This can be negated to some degree but is ultimately something you will learned to shoot with. I would recommend shooting with whatever correction your hunting with. A larger peep diameter may be easier, no smaller then 3/16. A three pin sight may also be for you, with .29 pins. I prefer black gold. Most packages will come with a sighting system very similar to what I have suggested. Shoot the bows at a lower weight so you can shoot more before you fatigue. Don't worry about shooting groups, pick the bow that feels the best. Everything else can be tweaked to fit your shooting needs

My father in law uses a peep with a verifier lens in it. He could not use it and his glasses at the same time. Most shops have them along with a demo stick that contains all 9 levels so you can hold it up and look through them to see what level works for you. Most of the time I lose focus on my pin while shooting and focus on the target.

Pins

Sounds like you have a good shop in mind. I prefer the smaller pins .19 at the moment but have a couple friends that found bigger pins .29 help with their eyesight . Somethingbto consider.

Verifiers/clarifies are probably just going to overwhelm you a d gain you nothing. I to prefer .19 pins and most higher end sight are going to be offered with them. Small pins and a small peep will lead to more accurate aiming, but are also harder for some to use. Larger peep, bigger keyhole to look thru. Smaller peep, less slop on the sighting. Your basically using iron sights or a ghost ring sight same as a firearm. Smaller pins cover less and have a smaller aiming point, larger pins are brighter and easier for you eye to pick up. And we haven't even started to talk about sight plane length and or axis control. But for the field remember keep it simple stupid, KISS.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back