Caribou Gear Tarp

Bow Hunting newb

Mossy-Back

After 20 years of rifle hunting I decided to try bow hunting. I shot bows as a kid and early teen, bowfished for carp, but never hunted with one.
My setup is kind of funky, as I am shooting a alloy riser recurve and using a 3 pin sight, so not really “traditional”, but not quite modern. I’ve got my bow/arrow setup tuned, and am able to get 4” groups at 30 yards fairly consistently. Shooting Easton XX75 shafts, fletched them myself, and VPA fixed two blade broadheads. Limiting myself to 30 yards max, but trying for 20 yards or less.

I’m going to hunt deer in western Oregon this year, and planning to hunt Roosevelt elk next year.

Any advice for a newbie appreciated.

1FF97AB1-E076-4C6D-BFAA-8C9B8794DF00.jpeg
6BE81CF1-2CFB-4721-86C6-CA5E82F390BE.jpeg718BF44B-6471-472F-ADC5-EB51D4872126.jpeg

Last edited:
Practice. It makes the moment of truth that much easier. The more confidence you have on the range the more confidence you’ll have in the field. Practicing at longer ranges as well will make a 30 yard shot in the field easier. Good luck - it’s a whole new world.

I’ve got my bow/arrow setup tuned, and am able to get 4” groups at 30 yards fairly consistently.
Better than I was ever able to do shooting trad...just keep doing what you're doing. Throw in some different shooting positions and elevations to expand your confidence

Go for a walk and shoot stumps, etc.

It’s important to get some kills under your belt. Look for either sex opportunities and take the first good shot you have.
Do you plan on doing any treestand hunting?

Go for a walk and shoot stumps, etc.

It’s important to get some kills under your belt. Look for either sex opportunities and take the first good shot you have.
Do you plan on doing any treestand hunting?

I’ve never hunted from a stand. Most of my deer hunting will likely be on a friend’s property that has some resident does and bucks that travel through on established trails. I’ll probably set up a ground blind there.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back