MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Bought my leftover license!!

Epfd217

After several weeks of research and debating different states and different options, a buddy and I have finally settled on a leftover full-price cow tag in Wyoming. Tags are purchased!

Lots of discussion here lately really stirred the pot, but we still chose Wyoming. I'm pretty excited. I don't want to get too greedy, but the option for extra cow/calf tags is also available.

Now to start watching the weather and planning a mid November cow hunt!! Is it fall yet?:D

This is my first elk hunt "on my own". Last year I went with a group of guys from work who do a ranch hunt for cows in New Mexico. I really didn't know much.

This year is the first time I will be planning m y own elk hunt. It will be primarily public land and completely unguided.

Awesome! Seeing as I'm only 15min from you and have dreams of planning a similar hunt next year, I'll be watching and learning with this thread.

Emrah

Good luck sir! Dress in warm layers, have rain gear on your person & glass, glass, glass & glass some more! (grin)

ElkNut1

Being a treestand hunter in Minnesota, I've got the cold weather clothing and layers figured out. My big needs for this season will be a pack and maybe a raingear upgrade.

left over licence

Why did you pay for full price cow tag ? when you could have gotten them for $288? I bought one for Wyo. as well, Area 37 . Season from Oct 1st to Dec. this is my first O.M. O. Elk hunt as well And I am 74 years old. Planning on driving as far away from crowds as possible set up base camp, then pack in as far as I can and set up spike camp for a couple days at a time. anyone care to join me?

I paid for the full price tag in order to take advantage of the high country of the National Forest. There is some other assorted public land in the area, but its mostly low and a checkerboard of public/private. Everyone I've talked to recommended waiting till late in the season and pay a trespass fee. Thats not the type of hunt I want.

Yes my tag cost double of the type 6 tags, but its cheaper than the other states I was looking into and I have the availability of national forest and hunting the high country. If there is too much snow in November (ya never know) then we can focus on the available non-forest land and/or trespass fees.

I would totally consider coming with you, but our tags are paid for. I will hunt the BIghorns someday, but this won't be the year. Good luck!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back