MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Blacktail Medford, Oregon area

RyanSoNorCal

Non-res planning an Archery Blacktail & possibly Black Bear hunt next season. Looking for any info on public land (good areas to focus) OTC tags/license$$, etc. Thanks!

Yes whatever it takes. Family friend owns an RV park in Shady Grove so that will be basecamp.

Great spots all around Medford. I prefer the Cascades to the east as there is less poison oak up there, but the Applegate unit is more popular and produces better bucks.

This is my first year archery hunting up here and I'm going to focus on the late season so I can hunt the rut. I'll report back on how that is after I've experienced it.

I don't think you can go wrong in any of the zones for rifle season. Late archery you'll be limited to the Rogue unit.

Awesome thanks for the info. So early archery season would also still be limited to the Rogue unit? Would I be better off focusing on Black Bear during that time?

Most of the state is open for early archery. You have a lot of freedom there to hunt the way you want. I'd make that decision first.

Check out page 26 and 27 of the regs. They have a pretty good breakdown of the zones and hunt dates.

Any time is a good time for bears though.

Much appreciated. I just checked the unit map and my friends RV park in Shady Cove is just on the west edge of Rogue. Looks like good amount of BLM. Thanks again been a huge help!

If you're staying in Shady Cove I would suggest hunting the Rogue / Umpqua divide. If you are really interested in bear as well I would suggest the Applegate unit. There is a lot of poison oak there but at least the ground is flat. Unfortunately all that flat ground is tilted sharply up and down. redbuttes.JPG

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back