Caribou Gear Tarp

Blackhorn 209 not adding up

Paisano

I started shooting muzzleloaders a few months back and settled in on using blackhorn 209 for my powder. I measured it by volume, shot, cleaned the gun, no major issues. A buddy of mine starts shooting it, measures by volume, and decides to double check the powder weight on the reloading scale. He calls me up and says that the volume of powder listed in BH 209s load data doesn't match the corresponding weight. I decide to do my own little test on my reloading scale.....I load up 6 of the powder tubes BH 209 sells and measure 110 grains by volume. According to BH 209, this should be the equivalent of 77 grains by weight. My average weight on per charge on the scale was 82.5 grains. According to BH 209's data, 120 grains by volume should equal 84 grains by weight. I'm not perfect but I know I was nowhere near the 120 grain by volume mark on those powder tubes.

My gun is shooting fine so this isn't a major concern for me at this point but you have to wonder how much powder a guy loading 120 grains by volume is actually shooting by weight...and is it safe?....

I'm just wondering if anyone else has run into this with Blackhorn 209? I think I'll put a call into Western Powders and see what they have to say about it....

My gun is shooting fine so this isn't a major concern for me at this point but you have to wonder how much powder a guy loading 120 grains by volume is actually shooting by weight...and is it safe?....

I have been shooting bh209 for the last several years, my load in my tc omega is 115 behind 245's. I wouldn't take the comparison for gospel especially when you are talking volumetric values and not weight.

I just measured and weighed some BH. 77grains weight was 110grains volume +/-. I used two separate brass powder measures and also compared it to a loose powder clear plastic speed loader I have on hand... both were spot on.

I have another plastic speed loader thats made for pellets. 110gr measures 120gr in the that one. I figured it would be off, as I have it marked at 110 grains, which is my "100 grain" load.

I'd try a different volume measuring tool and see what you get. I have a feeling the BH tubes may be off.

According to my chart, 110 gr by volume is 78.1 by weight, I just weight 78.1, and pour into sealed tubes.

It looks right on a chronograph, 250 barns at 1970 fps, out of a 25" barrel.

I put a call into western powders today and explained our findings. They told me the volumetric measuring tubes they sell are more of a "general reference" and measuring by weight is the only sure way to know what you are really shooting. They didn't seem surprised at all. Very interesting. Nevertheless, they were good to talk to and it was nice to hear an explanation straight from the source. They also mentioned that the level of powder in the tube can measure considerably different depending on how settled or packed it is. I was measuring my powder poured loosely into the tube, no packing etc. and coming up with quite a bit more powder than intended. If folks are trying for a max load, I might suggest double checking their volume measurements against a scale....just to be safe.

I suspect you could get closer to their load data if you worked at it and adjusted where you "measured" your powder level in the tube.

Good luck to all this season!

I discovered something worth mentioning about measuring BH209, when I poured 110 grains into a measuring tube, put the cap on, gently turned it upside down and back, it "fluffed up"
to almost 120. So I poured a little bit out and repeated the process. It took 3 or 4 tries, but I finally got it to measure 110 consistently after turning it over. It seems to pack down a little bit when pouring it in, but this process seems to give a consistent load although I haven't had the opportunity to check it against a scale...Hope this helps.

I discovered something worth mentioning about measuring BH209, when I poured 110 grains into a measuring tube, put the cap on, gently turned it upside down and back, it "fluffed up"
to almost 120. So I poured a little bit out and repeated the process. It took 3 or 4 tries, but I finally got it to measure 110 consistently after turning it over. It seems to pack down a little bit when pouring it in, but this process seems to give a consistent load although I haven't had the opportunity to check it against a scale...Hope this helps.
I've run into that also, which is why I measure it by weight now.

When I switched over to BH209 years ago I read a lot about volume vs weight with it. I ended up buying a little electronic scale and use weight when I'm dialing in a load.

I'm relatively new to shooting BH209 but have been weighing each of my charges and have found that the volume difference is +/- 10grains when I put them in the plastic BH speed loaders. When I was developing my hunting load I was shooting over a chrono and despite volume differences (weighed charges were exactly the same) I was with in 25fps on 5 shot groups.

I only use the plastic tubes to carry the load. I pre-measure, by volume, in a traditional brass tube. My loads are much lighter than what you guys are shooting though. I only use 80 grains. I use a .452 xtp at 250 grains, placed into a 45 caliber ribbed sabot. I also use some cheapo lead 45 long colts for target. I get near identical results at 100 yards with groups having a couple inch spread, or less if I keep user error to a minimum :) Pete

I used a scale to check my methodology and had +/- .5 grains, I was pretty happy with that. I might pick up a little electronic scale at some point, but I don't think it's necessary right now

I only use the plastic tubes to carry the load. I pre-measure, by volume, in a traditional brass tube. My loads are much lighter than what you guys are shooting though. I only use 80 grains. I use a .452 xtp at 250 grains, placed into a 45 caliber ribbed sabot. I also use some cheapo lead 45 long colts for target. I get near identical results at 100 yards with groups having a couple inch spread, or less if I keep user error to a minimum :) Pete
Agree with this. Using the BH209 tubes to measure your powder is probably a bad idea despite them having graduated marks. Much better to get a dedicated powder measure. I like the clear TC U-View. Although BH209 is more uniform and does not settle as much as other subs, a few taps on the measure will almost always bring the load down a bit. Think of the marks on the BH tubes as rough guides to let you know about how much powder is in them.

I weigh out 84 grains behind a hornady SST 300 grain.

Its consistent enough for me and it consistently kicks like hell.

Worked up a loads yesterday and today. Ended up with 76g by weight, Federal 209a primers, and 240g Hornaday XTP Mags.

I can’t get over how easy this powder is to use and clean up. Wished I would of switched years ago.

Attachments

• 89B83AA4-BF81-4868-B958-D04401F7563F.jpeg
    89B83AA4-BF81-4868-B958-D04401F7563F.jpeg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back