Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Black Hills Roads?

Trigger50

Heading to the Black Hills tomorrow tues from MN for a week of deer hunting. My 1st trip to the BH for hunting. What are the current road and snow conditions? Should I bring chains? I have an AWD SUV. Thanks

Heading to the Black Hills tomorrow tues from MN for a week of deer hunting. My 1st trip to the BH for hunting. What are the current road and snow conditions? Should I bring chains? I have an AWD SUV. Thanks
I have my chains in the back seat of the Tundra currently, but doubt I will have to break them out. Here is picture I just took while looking for camp site tonight. 5,195’. Supposed to keep snowing tonight but not expecting much.

My 2cents, you have chains, bring them. Doubt you will need them but seems to be smart insurance.🤷‍♂️33C7C1ED-A25A-4997-9863-A37075B44BBD.jpeg

I have my chains in the back seat of the Tundra currently, but doubt I will have to break them out. Here is picture I just took while looking for camp site tonight. 5,195’. Supposed to keep snowing tonight but not expecting much.

My 2cents, you have chains, bring them. Doubt you will need them but seems to be smart insurance.🤷‍♂️View attachment 250117
Mr. Miller, this is probably going to sound strange but I'm wondering if you would be willing to share or sell some of your photography. If you'd be so kind to answer to [email protected] I'd be very interested. Thank you in advance

You can use this for some sort of reference. Obviously hwy cams but may help. Terry Peak ski area got 6" of fresh snow this morning.
All in all, most FS roads in the hills are pretty solidly built. Wouldn't be concerned about any melting causing muck.

If @mtmiller has an update it would be worthwhile for you. They were calling for 1" a couple days ago. As I look out my window, there are at least 6" and maybe more. Benefit is that it is not blowing. Chains are warranted.

11" at deadwood with more on the way. Problem I see with the FS roads is they turn into packed ice slicks after enough vehicle traffic.

It won't hurt anything but you probably won't need them. Can you run them on your SUV?

Only 1 time I thought I might be in a pickle was when I went down a valley and it was all ice because it didn't much sun. Getting out was sporty but I did it in 4wd..

Had to put them on today.😁
I kind of figured that would happen. Hope you have really warm clothes. It is going to be pretty cold the next few days and quite a bit of wind. Could get a little crappy traveling.

How's the hunt going? I am taking my daughter out this weekend. She only has a couple years left before graduation and drew an any deer tag which is pretty awesome. Pretty awesome she still likes to hunt with her old man too.

@Trigger50 would love to see some trip photos when you're done. The black hills have always intrigued me.

The Black Hills is the only place I have seen Whitetails migrate. One heavy snow, they were in a single file line in a sporadic flow across an open burn. Headed towards lower elevations I was guessing. I assume they do it in other mountainous regions as well.

The Black Hills is the only place I have seen Whitetails migrate. One heavy snow, they were in a single file line in a sporadic flow across an open burn. Headed towards lower elevations I was guessing. I assume they do it in other mountainous regions as well.
if you have chains they are no good at home bring them

i respectly disagree have hunted wyo side 25 years still have seen them stay high where the tornadoes went through and intensive logging

Updates?

Pictures of your harvests or roads or anything?

What's the hunting pressure like? Id imagine it's spread out.

What's the rut activity like right now and expectations next week?

I hunted out there 10/30-11/09 Rut activity was picking up steadily. It was colder than the dickens where i was. The terrain and elevation is different across the hills. Most of the pressure I saw comes from wheeled vehicles driving every possible trail they could. Very few people actually out of the their vehicles doing the foot thing. I'm a firm believer in the back side of the ridge that is hidden from the road view. The deer can be active all day long during the rut. Any idea of where you are heading? I'm usually archery hunting there so I look for a good place to hang a stand. No opportunities this year. With a rifle in my hand I would do more stalking the woods slowly and calling more with the bleat can or rattling. Find an area with tracks and park your butt and see what happens.

When I came through Thursday, sturgis over the hill was 200’ visibility (when the wind died) and traffic was a crawl on the interstate.

212 from belle fouche to Montana I90 was an ice rink and nothing but snow pack. The hill climb out of Lame deer MT had the right wheel track solid glare ice. At least the shoulder was snow pack and sand and the left wheel track.

IT SUCKED.

If you don’t have AW3S rated tires, I’d highly recommend them as well as at least having chains for all corners with you for the back country.

Back