Black Bear rugs/tanned/blankets MN recommendations

VikingsGuy

My son and I are heading to NW Ontario in a few weeks for our first black bear hunt. The outfitter suggests we bring the hides home frozen in coolers as there are no nearby options that they would recommend (plus then you have to ship down to US at further cost). Not something I have room for in the freezer so I need to get ahead of the curve and have a plan for our return. Any recommendations for a taxidermy/rug guy in Minnesota or western Wisconsin? The closer to the Twin Cities the better.

I have used Tom Stuck at After the Hunt in Antigo Wi, he did an amazing job on my rug (and ducks). I drove over from the Red Wing area to have him do the work.

Dreamcatcher Taxidermy in Eau Claire, about 2 hr drive for you. He's done my daughter's half mount and wife's rug. Also some of my deer. Both turned out excellent. He's not cheap, but you get a good looking mount. He's not mounting 100lb bears in the attack pose that you see other's do. He keeps it real.
FWIW: you might want to consider a half mount. Doesnt take up as much wall and your wallet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back