MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Black Bear in Grizzly Country?

TWC

Hi guys,

I am planning my first Elk trip for 2022 in Montana and I have e-scouted some spots using Randys logic and onx maps. Now, I also have a desire to go after black bear and had a thought that I could do a spring black bear trip all the while scouting out some elk spots and glassing points, etc.

I'm looking at HD 362 which I know is grizzly country and am looking for opinions if I am wasting my time in country with them if I am after a black bear?

Thanks from the UK,

Tom

Your bigger issue is that during the sweet spot of black bear hunting it'll be a snowshoe slog to get to the vast majority of terrain you'd later be elk hunting in the fall. Still pretty wintry at 8000' and up in May.

Your bigger issue is that during the sweet spot of black bear hunting it'll be a snowshoe slog to get to the vast majority of terrain you'd later be elk hunting in the fall. Still pretty wintry at 8000' and up in May.
Thats a good point, which I hadnt considered. Cheers.

And in light of combining elk scouting and bear, you won’t be placing your feet on the ground at the same elevations, but you aren’t wrong to spend time getting to know the lay of the land.
Knowledge of a unit is always valuable for later use.
If you are going to do two trips anyway, I would stick with your plan.
Know how to identify your bears and go hunt.

And in light of combining elk scouting and bear, you won’t be placing your feet on the ground at the same elevations, but you aren’t wrong to spend time getting to know the lay of the land.
Knowledge of a unit is always valuable for later use.
If you are going to do two trips anyway, I would stick with your plan.
Know how to identify your bears and go hunt.

And remember, to avoid conflict with grizzlies, ALWAYS wear your "bear bells"!

You can hunt that unit from a car, no 4x4 needed, just strong legs. That unit has been getting a lot if pressure the last couple of years. This fall I ran across fresh Grizzly tracks 3 out 10 days of hunting. They are in there!

You can hunt that unit from a car, no 4x4 needed, just strong legs. That unit has been getting a lot if pressure the last couple of years. This fall I ran across fresh Grizzly tracks 3 out 10 days of hunting. They are in there!
Sorry for responding to such an old post, New member needing a few posts before I can start a thread. Any experience for spring bear in unit 106? Heading there may 15-22 so any advice is super appreciated

I've killed elk, moose, sheep, and a goat in elk unit 362, and saw my first lion there. I've also had both black and grizzly visit my camp there that was within walking distance of elk and moose kill sites.

One year on opening weekend of elk season we had 2 4x4 pickups with all 4 wheels chained get stuck on a Forest Service road there and 2 of us spent a night in the cabs of our trucks. We were able to winch our way out the next day.

For a spring bear hunt, many of the FS roads are closed into late May or June.

On the question on unit 106, I used to live in elk unit 109 and I killed a black bear in elk unit 101. I don't see an elk unit 106 in the 2020 elk regs. Maybe the bear units are different.

Reactions: TWC
Back