Caribou Gear

black bear habits?

rufous

I have a question about the habits of black bear. In early May would you expect black bears to have a fairly small range so long as they had food, water and shelter and were undisturbed? I would tend to think so. Why travel if you have everything you need right where you are? I saw a big bear Sunday evening and hoped to get on him Monday evening but did not see him. Am I foolish to hope to find a bear in the same general area night after night at this time of year? I know that the boars will start ranging later in the spring looking for sows in heat but do not think that starts until later May or June. Thanks, Rufous.

Stick on him, hombre. I hunted the same big cinnamon last year (bear # 5 in "Judging Bears") in a clover patch all season with my bow. I saw him 7-8 times last season. He would only come back once or twice a week, but he came back... They like their SALAD bars - stake it out.
hump.gif
Good luck.

Actually (And I'm an Expert, I saw a Bear once ;) ) Bears tend to Sleep more in the Spring and Eat more in the Fall. They like the Ease of eating and Hanging out in an Area as long as there is Food/cover there. IN the Fall they will Eat more and Travel a little longer at night and later into the Morning and Start out earlier. In the Spring If you look at mos tof the Results of the Trail cams they tens to Come in, Eat a Little bit and Move out to Sleep again. Although bait sites tend to get the Bear to Eat more earliwer in the Month because of it's readability (Is that a Word ??!!) So insead of Bears eating alot twards the Mid June, they start eating well in May.

That being said, If there is NO Sows to Be bread, the Boars will start roaming. Funny things about boars is they like to "
hump.gif
" more then Eat. Unlike Most humans ;)

You will mjost likely find the Same bear in the Same Area. Animals (Like Humans) like the Easy life. If there is Food/Sex, They got it made
elkgrin.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back