Black bear gutless method?

DouglasR

So in both of the meat eater videos the bears have already been field dressed.
Is this a good idea or necessary in any way or can you just skin up where the incision would be for field dressing and call it good?
Do black bears have tenderloins?
Are they worth taking?

Do you guys take any special precautions handling the meat in the field?
Are latex gloves a must?

I've never seen it done. Bears have a lot of guts but I think it could be possible like many other animals if you keep your knife from cutting through into the guts.

Yes to gloves. I try to have gloves on if not to protect from potential illness but to make clean up that much easier especially when it's cold. I try to carry at least 2 pairs of heavy duty nitrile gloves in my kit.

I've never seen it done. Bears have a lot of guts but I think it could be possible like many other animals if you keep your knife from cutting through into the guts.

Yes to gloves. I try to have gloves on if not to protect from potential illness but to make clean up that much easier especially when it's cold. I try to carry at least 2 pairs of heavy duty nitrile gloves in my kit.
Were you not standing around the same picnic table while @e300winmag and I skinned and quartered my bear without spilling the guts? Or two nights later when @Randy11 repeated the same feat at the same location? The first night I'll give you a pass as that bourbon bottle was emptying quickly. But to miss it twice....?

Were you not standing around the same picnic table while @e300winmag and I skinned and quartered my bear without spilling the guts? Or two nights later when @Randy11 repeated the same feat at the same location? The first night I'll give you a pass as that bourbon bottle was emptying quickly. But to miss it twice....?
oh yeah we were like a week's worth of beer and bourbon into the afternoon...err I mean night lol. 😬 I'm not an observant person, but thought we pulled guts on the others. Mine being a bite sized bear didn't need that treatment. :ROFLMAO:

Gutless method works just fine on a bear, just run your first incision down the front, and skin out one side. Roll onto the opposite side and take your quarters off.

Front shoulders can get a little complicated if you’re going to tube/sleeve from the chest up to the nose, but doable if you get hams and back straps off on both sides, then do shoulders.

A couple years ago I saw a bear at the red dash.
I was sitting on the bino icon shooting over the trail.
If you were gonna try to hunt the same area, but get away from the trail, assuming there’s still berries there, would you get up on the blue point I marked and glass to the northeast or go down in the bottom on the yellow point and glass the northwest hill for an evening hunt?
E526FCD6-65C3-44C4-8947-1000FBC327D7.jpeg

If you were gonna try to hunt the same area, but get away from the trail, assuming there’s still berries there, would you get up on the blue point I marked and glass to the northeast or go down in the bottom on the yellow point and glass the northwest hill for an evening hunt?
View attachment 291304
I hope this picture isn’t hot spotting anybody.
Lmk if it is.

View attachment 291304
Am I entirely off base?
Should I leave the gun and take the bike?

I've used the gutless method on bears before, works just like any other game. Yes, they have tenderloins that are worth cutting out. I try to use nitrile gloves but I don't always have them with me. If I don't have gloves I try not to touch my skin until I've cleaned my hands.
Good idea!

View attachment 291304
Bro, why you gonna shoot a campsite bear?

Gutless is very easy to do on a bear. I skinned this Oklahoma bear gutless on the side of a steep ridge. Got dark on me about halfway through the process.IMG_20221001_184439.jpgIMG_20221001_195459.jpgIMG_20221001_184050.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back