Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Bison Hide Tanning

We just laid it out on the driveway to flesh.
Clean skinning really helps with fleshing too.
Got a badger in the freezer right now waiting to get fleshed, what fun for the spouse !!

We just laid it out on the driveway to flesh.
Clean skinning really helps with fleshing too.
Got a badger in the freezer right now waiting to get fleshed, what fun for the spouse !!
Re: driveway skinning, did you have to weight down the ends with anything or is the hide so heavy it wasn't needed?

Honestly we knew it was going to get tanned we I shot it so we skinned it very carefuly and had little fleshing to do. It worked pretty easily being so big. Just laid it out flat and fleshed what was needed. The hide is so heavy it stays down. A big beam may be easier on your back though.
Getting too old, but memory says the thicker flesh is what needs to come off, not every little bit.
If it gets too dry they are hard to fold and get in a box, salt it well but make sure it has some flex after.

Sorry just saw this response.

It's not necessarily recommended but I've fleshed several black bears with a pressure washer and then salted them and sent them off to Wildlife Gallery in Michigan with great results.
I've always wondered about doing this. How careful did you have to be with the pressure washer? Was it easy to punch through the hide or was it pretty easy to aggressively work at the fat and meat without concern? I have a way to easily blow dry a large hide so I've often thought about using the pressure washer on my big game hides if they were saved and take care of the fleshing myself to sell them. If you flesh and salt a big game hide, its surprisingly easy to sell them. No one wants to do the dirty work though.

I sold it to a gentleman in Sd. I will probably have another one this Dec if your interested.

@Schaaf i know it’s fantasy football season and you want to do your draft before a lot of studs are gonna get hurt, but people wanna know what you did with this hide? Your wife got room in her freezer? @Hunter4Life78 wants to know

@Schaaf i know it’s fantasy football season and you want to do your draft before a lot of studs are gonna get hurt, but people wanna know what you did with this hide? Your wife got room in her freezer? @Hunter4Life78 wants to know
I am thoroughly lost on this post. Had I seen it earlier I could've offered suggestions in my neck of the woods, I see Arlee was mentioned and I hear good things about those folks, (their names escape me at the moment) the local college does hide tanning as a class, not sure if they hair on or off though just for future reference.

And I'm not getting in the middle of this. I may be single, I'd prolly not be if I'd emptied the freezer. I guess a road kill redox and a coyote is a bit much to forget about. (The fox wasnt entirely my fault in my defense)

Last edited:
Hide is tanned and hanging over the bannister at the cabin. It was sent to Moyle Mink in Idaho and turn around wasn't too bad. He had a remarkable coat for a mid October bull so I'm glad I went through with tanning it.0417DB9D-A4EB-4C7E-BBF0-0F015489D02C.jpeg

Every man needs a beaver to lay his head on at the end of long day.
I am reminded of a line from the American Classic, "Of Mice and Men". The character Lenny states it. (It is also referenced in a Looney Cartoon, now Swaggyd can have a reference) that I am not going to quote the line though. I have become attached to the majority of you ladies and gentlemen on this site and I have no desire to be placed on HuntTalk probation, or worse blacklisted by Ms Bigfin. I have been known to toe a line and even cross a line in my life.
And yes I have read the book "Of Mice and Men" I didn't read the Cliffsnotes. I know that shocks many of you that were convinced that I'm only capable of reading comic books with my juvenile comments that I regularly post. I am really hoping someone is there to revive SwaggyD and Stocker or at least place them back in their respective chairs so no one trips over them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back