Bismuth or ITX for Ducks and Pheasants

Jmnhunter

So I just recently picked up late grandfathers 1952 Browning A5 Light 12 in 2 3/4" Full. From the research I've found, the only non-tox I can shoot is either ITX or Bismuth. I know right now its impossible to find it locally but when I do get a chance, what size shot do you recommend for ducks and pheasants?

So I just recently picked up late grandfathers 1952 Browning A5 Light 12 in 2 3/4" Full. From the research I've found, the only non-tox I can shoot is either ITX or Bismuth. I know right now its impossible to find it locally but when I do get a chance, what size shot do you recommend for ducks and pheasants?
With "lead-like" pellets (Bismuth and various alloys) I shoot the same pellet size as lead (or maybe 1 up). For me that is 7 shot for grouse, 5 or 6 shot for early-season pheasant and 4 or 5 shot for late-season pheasant.

With "lead-like" pellets (Bismuth and various alloys) I shoot the same pellet size as lead (or maybe 1 up). For me that is 7 shot for grouse, 5 or 6 shot for early-season pheasant and 4 or 5 shot for late-season pheasant.
I agree...5's get my vote as a universal shot size though it may be a touch heavy for early season birds.

Ballistic Products does have a lot of ITX and Bismuth loads for roll crimping. That will be very handy without a press. A friend is having a lot of success with his Lee el cheapo press but he is weighing both shot and powder charges.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back