Bipode

Preacher shaner

Never had a bipod on any of my guns looking to get one have no idea where to start. I am trying to set up for a goat hunt

I have ended up shooting over my pack in the field, but at range do use Harris bipods on a number of rifles - they are fairly common and well regarded mid-range choice.

Not sure about carrying one on a goat hunt, I’ve never been. If it were me planning, I would just use my pack as well. Those extra ounces add up with every vertical step. I only use mine at lower elevations close to the truck to get over grass or sagebrush. I use Harris and have no reason to switch.

Not sure about carrying one on a goat hunt, I’ve never been. If it were me planning, I would just use my pack as well. Those extra ounces add up with every vertical step. I only use mine at lower elevations close to the truck to get over grass or sagebrush. I use Harris and have no reason to switch.
I think the goat in question is a speed goat...that being said you're going to need a bipod long enough to shoot over sagebrush in your preferred shooting position (sitting, kneeling). Most will be heavy but there are handful out there that are a little lighter if you search. They get exponentially expensive to save weight if that is your goal. I opt for a pair of shooting sticks with a shorter bipod for being able to shoot off small hills from prone. Shooting off my pack works just as well.

My bipod never really leaves my rifle but I also rarely carry a pack for antelope hunting.
Get one that fits you prone and sitting.
They are not cheap so perhaps some adjustable shooting sticks would work for you.
Depending on the area you hunt , the sage may be over your head or only 6 inches tall.

For speedgoats, I use a Harris that is 13" collapsed and extends to 27" I believe. Short enough to shoot prone, but extends to I can shoot sitting and clear the sagebrush. Mine doesn't have the pivoting head, but that would be a nice feature. It weighs about a pound.

I think the goat in question is a speed goat...that being said you're going to need a bipod long enough to shoot over sagebrush in your preferred shooting position (sitting, kneeling). Most will be heavy but there are handful out there that are a little lighter if you search. They get exponentially expensive to save weight if that is your goal. I opt for a pair of shooting sticks with a shorter bipod for being able to shoot off small hills from prone. Shooting off my pack works just as well.

Lol, I completely missed that this was in the pronghorn section. Whoops

I really like Harris's S-25C bipod (13.5" - 27"). Plenty of adjustment for a wide range of situations. The "S" designates swivel model, which allows you to better level the rifle.

A bipod can be useful, but you can also shoot off trekking poles. If you practice with them, they're almost as stable and way more versatile/affordable. I found that the slight terrain and vegetation, even in pronghorn country, limits the utility of the bipod unless you get one tall enough to sit and shoot...then you might as well use the trekking poles. Just my $0.02

That said, I could sell you one!

As others have said, get a bipod that is tall enough to shoot sitting. The sage brush can really limit shooting prone.

...I opt for a pair of shooting sticks with a shorter bipod for being able to shoot off small hills from prone. Shooting off my pack works just as well.
That's pretty much my set-up as well. The longer bi-pods have so much flex it's not much more stable than sticks for me personally.

I'm cheap. I just two two 2x1" pieces of pine and bolted them together about 6" down from the top. Works as a great shooting stick when weight doesn't matter to me. I use it for antelope or for whitetail and I can go from prone to kneeling shots without problems. I'll post a photo later if you're interested.

25 yrs ago, I cut a couple of ash saplings that were straight and thin. I lashed them together with a leather bootlace and used another to make a sling to put them over my shoulder. I figured I would tire of them and toss them into the bushes eventually. Now, they are almost more precious than my rifles as I have taken them everywhere and shot countless heads of game over them. They make a good walking stick too, but I wish I had cut them 6" longer for that purpose.

I’ve had a few Atlas and Harris bipods and prefer the Harris BRMS models which have notched legs and the swivel head.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back