Yeti GOBOX Collection

Bino's vs spotter ?

J.R.2

Hey all, new to the forums here, so here goes my first post.

I'm fairly new to hunting and looking to buy a decent pair of glass (prob from vortex). I'm gonna be hunting mulies in SoCal and hopefully branch out from there(would like to visit WY and MT). My question for y'all is for my first glass investment should I go with a spotter or bigger pair of bino's like the kiabobs in a 15x56 or 20x56 ? I do like the idea of being able to use both eyes but I like the capabilities of being able to adjust the zoom on the spotting scopes. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh

The debate of spotter vs binos is strictly a personal preference, in my opinion. There truly are pros and cons to both and it just depends what you are more comfortable with. If it's possible, I would suggest trying to find someone who has a big set of binos and someone who has a decent spotter and try to spend some time looking through both to see what you like.

Personally, I prefer a spotting scope in large due to the ability to zoom in. I like to glass on a low power and zoom in when I see something that peaks my interest. Keep in mind though that when you zoom in with a spotting scope, the image will not be as clear or bright as it is on a low power. (Cheap spotting scopes magnify this problem much more than a high dollar/quality scope.) Looking through a spotting scope for a long period of time can give you eye fatigue and headaches as well, just as an FYI.

I would suggest going with the Vortex optics for your binos. I use them and you can't beat the quality when compared to others at an equal price.

Hope that helps.

Do you currently have a pair of binos or are you just looking to get a bigger pair vs a spotter?

I went for years without using a spotting scope while hunting. Never once could I have imagined going without binoculars.

Do you currently have a pair of binos or are you just looking to get a bigger pair vs a spotter?

I went for years without using a spotting scope while hunting. Never once could I have imagined going without binoculars.
This! I'd focus on getting as good a pair of all around (8 or 10X) binos as you can afford to start with. The rest helps, but those all arounders will see the lions share of use.

Thanks for the insight guys. I currently have a pair of 10x42's that are decent for what I payed for them (less then $200). So would I be better just upgrading those first or looking into a spotter? If looking into say the viper or razor spotters what is a better zoom to look for (15-45x65, 11-33x50, 22-48x65, etc.) ?

For pretty much all hunting I do, I use 10x42 binos, and almost always have my spotter along. I wouldn't go with small objective spotters, minimum would be 60-65. During dusk the high power is basically useless on all spotters, and even more so on smaller glass, your binos will fare better than the small spotters.

IMO, there is a huge difference between decent and top end binos especially at dusk and spotting game at long range. Even a crappy spotter will help find animals at long range. I've been through a pile of them

Thanks for the insight guys. I currently have a pair of 10x42's that are decent for what I payed for them (less then $200). So would I be better just upgrading those first or looking into a spotter? If looking into say the viper or razor spotters what is a better zoom to look for (15-45x65, 11-33x50, 22-48x65, etc.) ?
IMO, I'd say yes to upgrading the binos before getting a spotter. Contact Schmaltz here. The bit I've spent behind his binos they hit way above their cost.

For pretty much all hunting I do, I use 10x42 binos, and almost always have my spotter along. I wouldn't go with small objective spotters, minimum would be 60-65. During dusk the high power is basically useless on all spotters, and even more so on smaller glass, your binos will fare better than the small spotters.

IMO, there is a huge difference between decent and top end binos especially at dusk and spotting game at long range. Even a crappy spotter will help find animals at long range. I've been through a pile of them

The advice is much appreciated. I'm gonna upgrade to a much nicer pair of 10x42's and pick up a cheaper spotter to start with. I found a few spotters in 15-45x65 and 20-60x80. Probably will get the 65mm unless you guys would recommend the 80mm

The advice is much appreciated. I'm gonna upgrade to a much nicer pair of 10x42's and pick up a cheaper spotter to start with. I found a few spotters in 15-45x65 and 20-60x80. Probably will get the 65mm unless you guys would recommend the 80mm

the 80mm starts to add a lot of weight, no very helpful if you are trying to pack in a ways. If you have 10x42's, then the 15-45 spotter would do the trick, 65 is a good all around size for clarity and weight. Remember the bigger the objective, the more light that enters. The larger the power, the more it magnifies the shakiness of your hands.

A cheap spotter isn't very helpful over a quality pair of binos. Spend as much as you can afford on each, they are investments.

First, get the very best binos you can get. Leica type brands are super expensive for sure, but over my beginning years I bought many binos always upping to the next level. I ended up with a collection of binos costing me more than the
Leica 10-42s did.Here is what no one thinks about in the beginning, I will sit and glass areas for several hours, unless I'm using a really good glass I will get headaches that can almost incapacitate me. The Leica, Swarovski, Ziess manufacturers compensate for the fact that our eyes are not on the same plane. when you get a spotter, get a good tripod that let's you pan a hillside. Here is the secret with a spotter, get yourself a eye patch at the drug store. I can glass without any problem again for hours(?). Get at least a 65 scope and be sure its an apochromatic. That will double the sharpness of your view. GJ

Last edited:
First, get the very best binos you can get. Leica type brands are super expensive for sure, but over my beginning years I bought many binos always upping to the next level. I ended up with a collection of binos costing me most than the
Leica 10-42s did.Here is what no one thinks about in the beginning, I will sit and glass areas for several hours, unless I'm using a really good glass I will get headaches that can almost incapacitate me. The Leica, Swarovski, Ziess manufacturers do this. When. You get a spotter, get a good tripod that let's you pan a hillside. Here is the secret with a spotter, get yourself a eye patch at the drug store. I can glass without any problem again for hours(?). Get at least a 65 scope and be sure its an apochromatic. That will double the sharpness of your view. GJ

First, get the very best binos you can get. Leica type brands are super expensive for sure, but over my beginning years I bought many binos always upping to the next level. I ended up with a collection of binos costing me more than the
Leica 10-42s did.Here is what no one thinks about in the beginning, I will sit and glass areas for several hours, unless I'm using a really good glass I will get headaches that can almost incapacitate me. The Leica, Swarovski, Ziess manufacturers do this. When. You get a spotter, get a good tripod that let's you pan a hillside. Here is the secret with a spotter, get yourself a eye patch at the drug store. I can glass without any problem again for hours(?). Get at least a 65 scope and be sure its an apochromatic. That will double the sharpness of your view. GJ

I would upgrade your binos to a better 10x42 before looking at spotting scopes. Even then, you may not like using one. I own two and they rarely get any use. 99.9% of my time is spent with my 8X42s. Only time my spotters come out is the range and when I spot an animal and want a closer look. This is totally dependant on the area you hunt. I hunt where a few thousand yards is the farthest I can see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NTSS
Back