Binos on a tripod... yet again

AvidIndoorsman

Read through a bunch of the old threads and was hoping for a set up critique. Also am I missing an key parts to the setup.

I want to be able to run binos on a tripod I have a 4 lb. slik 9000 tripod, WY pronghorn (basically times when weight doesn't matter or it's windy)

I'm looking to purchase a cheap (under $150) as light as possible tripod for backpacking. Looking at the vortex summit or the Sirui T-005SK, thinking the sirui as I've used the vortex and the legs are a pain in the ass... I figure both will shake some but will be better than free handing. I wont use a spotter with this setup.

To to along with this tripod (going to use the head it comes with) I am going to get a bino adapter. Looks like I will probably buy the outdoorman's adapter, with a stud for swaros and a stud for stiners/vortex.

I realize camping on ebay for the carbon slik might be the way to go but I want to have the set up by Sept 5 so I kinda have to hustle.

Also just found this tripod in my dad’s stuff, I googled it and it’s super cheap, like $25. It also weighs less than a pound. Seems like for your just using it with binos and if your mostly going to be using it from a seated position it might be a decent ultra light weight option.

Thoughts?
CC2E4F61-C4A5-45A8-A562-ED495EBFC11D.jpeg
C4275E33-DA18-4361-8C39-E4D807C66DA8.jpeg

Last edited:
I have the Vortex Summit SS-P I think its called. Like you said, the legs are kind of a pain in the ass, but other than that it works pretty well. Plenty stable with a relatively heavy set of 10x42 nocs. Compacts plenty for throwing in the pack. It actually fits in the top lid of my MR Metcalf.

I just grabbed my bino adapter for my tripod, I thinks a great idea. I'm going to just switch back and forth from spotter to bino, same tripod.

I use a vanguard Alta with the panhead and a vortex unidaptor and have loved the setup. The quick release handle makes panning easy and the legs easily adjust.

I have the Vortex Summit SS-P I think its called. Like you said, the legs are kind of a pain in the ass, but other than that it works pretty well. Plenty stable with a relatively heavy set of 10x42 nocs. Compacts plenty for throwing in the pack. It actually fits in the top lid of my MR Metcalf.

I have this one too and really like the tripod, it comes with a removal hook so you can hang your pack under it for weight, I also use it with my spotter with no issues. I use the Vortex bino adapter on the included mounting plate and bought an extra mounting plate that stays on my spotter.

Another light tripod to look at would be the Slik Sprint Pro II. If I remember right, about $75

The mini definitely looks like a great option.

I ordered the bino adapter and am going to try out the targus this week, ended up getting the field research optics one.

As an aside I'm not sure why anyone uses the outdoorsmans stuff... I mean I get that it's bomb proof and very functional, but $800 to get a tripod, pan head, bino adapter, bino stud... and it's super heavy compared to other offerings 3lbs compared to < 2lbs. I get the idea of cheap, durable, and light pick two, outdoorman's just seems to have decided to go with just one.

The Vortex SS-P is my only tripod right now. The legs take a little getting used to, but I like it a lot overall.

For many years I used a $20 Polaroid tripod I bought off of Amazon because it was <1 pound. I ran that with a field optics adapter. The legs on the tripod were fixed and couldn't be adjusted outwards. The adapter was fast to connect, but not solid and allowed the binos to wiggle in the wind.

After running that for ~5 years, I got some extra money and decided to put it I to my glassing system. I bought a slik 624 tripod, manfrotto befree tripod head, and a leica bino adapter (I used the 20% Randy coupon at gohunt). I am over $400 into this setup, and spending that kind of money on a tripod setup definetly stung, but I am very happy with it.

Last edited:
I've been happy with the Leica bino tripod adapter, have tried the Outdoorsman's but don't have quite as much experience with it.

I’ve used a few different Bino adapters and hands down the outdoormans Bino adapter is the best I’ve used. Simple setup and locks in solid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back