Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Binocular doubler and upgrade question

cwitherow

Are these a "viable" alternative to a spotting scope for occasional use? From a budget perspective, spotting scopes can be quite pricey. For the amount and reasons I would use it, I would rather upgrade my binos to a quality 8x and get one of these. I really like 8x's for the hunting I do (Midwest with a trip out west every other year) and don't have an interest in moving up to 10x or 12x's. Currently have an old pair of Vortex Diamondback's, and looking to upgrade to something around the $500 mark in the next year. Vortex Vipers or Leupold BX-4's are the only ones I have been able to look through in person.

What functions of a spotting scope are you trying to replicate? I used the $100 spotter I bought 15 years ago for my pronghorn hunt this year. I could differentiate bucks from does from over a mile which served my purpose. It would be useless counting annuli from hundreds of yards away though.

What functions of a spotting scope are you trying to replicate? I used the $100 spotter I bought 15 years ago for my pronghorn hunt this year. I could differentiate bucks from does from over a mile which served my purpose. It would be useless counting annuli from hundreds of yards away though.
At this point would be identifying buck vs doe.

At this point would be identifying buck vs doe.

Don't need anything fancy then. Personally, I'd go for a cheap to mid-range spotter. I'm trying to justify a $1,500 spotter even though I don't really need one. A Gold Ring or SX-2 might not be that bad from schmalts and will still cut it in the future if you find a need for a decent spotter.

Any recommendations on binos in the $500 range? I won’t buy until I can hold em in my hands, but personal recommendations always mean more to me than internet reviews.

I have the swarovski 8x binos with a doubler. i have only used the doubler a few times when i am hiking in the back country. you really need to find a place to hold it steady like a rock or tree but it served its purpose. Because i couldn't find a place to hold it real steady it was a challenge to get a clear image but its doable. I don't know if its a better or cheaper way to accomplish what you want to but weight savings is great over a small spotting scope.

Back