Bino Rankings

williaada

I can read reviews all day long on binos to upgrade to. Thought I would ask fellow members what are the top 5 brand someone would recommend for a 12-15 power set of binoculars price would be in 1,500 range.
Thanks for you let suggestions.

Do you have a honorable 214? If so, Leupold's VIP Program is awesome. They really take care of military and first responders. If not, @schmalts is a great resource to have.

I would say much more info is needed to answer your question. What's your current pair? What sort of hunting? Are there weight concerns? Good luck on your search!

Do you have a honorable 214? If so, Leupold's VIP Program is awesome. They really take care of military and first responders. If not, @schmalts is a great resource to have.

I would say much more info is needed to answer your question. What's your current pair? What sort of hunting? Are there weight concerns? Good luck on your search!

I do not have a 214. I am looking at getting a pair of binos to use out west for deere, elk, and pronghorn. I will use them for a quick glance and then put them on a tripod to glass.

I currently have a 8x32 Bushnell set. My goal is to buy one pair and not keep jumping up a level every few years.

You will be flooded with opinions, so ultimately, you have to get your hands on them and try them at dusk or dawn. I have BX-4s in 12x50. They are great and worth the extra ounces. If you're going to put them on a tripod, I would lean 15x. This would allow you to not have a spotter. As far as brand, an unbiased opinion would tell you to look at warranties. I've had Leupold glass since '98 (my first scope).

I don’t have experience with 5 different brands of glass in that range. But, I would say at least consider Meopta. I have the 10x42s Meostars and really like them. I’ve heard good things about their higher magnification ones too.

Trying different glass would be best, but I understand that can be difficult:)

I don't know what things cost in the states but given that they're generally around half what we pay in Aus, Leica and Swaro are far in front of Meopta, Leupold, vortex etc.

Leica, Swaro, Meopta, Maven, Vortex Razor, Zeiss, Steiner, Sig Sauer Zulu ....... I know, over the five limit, but I wouldn't be afraid of any of these. See which ones you can look at and what you prefer the most.

Like others have said, Swaro, Leica, Meopta, and Zeiss would be my choices. I went with Swaro and absolutely love them.

I will 2nd these choices. At your price point Maven, meopta, and zeiss would be my choice. You might be able to find used swaros in that range but 12x swaros are pretty rare. I wouldn't go with 15x if you are going to chest carry them and use them off hand, go 12x, they are a reasonable compromise.

Not that you asked, but I would just go with a 10x42 in a Zeiss or Swaro (you can pick up some used in your price range) and not worry about it anymore. 12x + powers are too heavy, too hard to steady in the wind, and in my experience don't provide much beyond the 10x. In addition, if you're hunting in hot weather (e.g. for pronghorn) the mirage will be a bigger problem for the 12x.

If you’re willing to spend $1500, 10x42 Swarovski SLCs.... 12 will be very difficult to use effectively without a tripod.

Would a pair of those BX-4 12s allow you to see a hit on a paper target at 500 yds?

Don't know where you hunt , but if its the west and you don't use a tripod you are losing out. I never had $ for Swaros or Leica ,so I bought Doctors and a tripod 29 years ago. Then I got a pair of Minox ,used ,both were 15's . I glassed right along with my buddies with swaros. Sure they have more clarity and detail at low light conditions,but if you don't have the $ that is the way to go .Never tried and never will the vortex. But with 15's You don't need a spotting scope unless you can afford top of the line. Medium price spotting scopes are junk at long distance and not worth anything. I tried em all. Forget it.I have said this many times on here. We in Arizona take Glassing more serious than anywhere as we glass for the Elusive Coues deer. Somebody show me or convince Me on 1500 dollar binos but I can't see it. I just retired and on a budget I might buy myself some top end Swaros that I will have the rest of my life. Why no Sptting scope? I can't afford both and Iv'e tried My buddies spotters and at long distance with the heat down here at 2-3 miles the only one worth a chit is close to 4k. You got the $ buy both. Good luck . Hope I helped some folks from an old Guy who has been long range Glassing a long time and have hunted with some of the best hunters in the South West. .........................BOB!

I’m with Cornell Cowboy. Some 10x SLCs off a tripod would be absolutely deadly, and you can still hand-hold them comfortably if needed. You can get a new pair right at your budget and a used pair under it. You won’t regret it. Save the 12x or 15x for down the road. Neither are what you want to keep on your chest.

15’s are a little too much for me to carry on a normal deer or elk hunt but do up the distances you can glass. I’m with the 10x42 SLC crowd the extra resolution & clarity allowed us to get 2 cows last year that lesser Binos could not see in the thick brush & fading light. We hunt steep wide open sage/oak brush areas & the 10x then spotting scope for scouting days has worked best. Cousin shelved his 12x Vortex for the SLC’s and noticed the difference in being able to spot game.

Keep your eyes peeled in the sale barns online. They go up for sale pretty frequently for half the price of new ones.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back