Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Bino Harness: which one?

Spitz

I'm tired of constantly adjusting my old crooked horn harness. Don't like that it bounces around too much and that I need a separate cover to protect the binos when not in use. Anybody have any recommendations?

Was looking at this one:

https://s4gear.com/products/lockdown

Looks nifty. I use the same standard bino harness you use (not a crooked horn though) and they do get very "springy" and swing away from the body when you have to move quickly. Have you looked at the Badlands bino system?

When someone does invent the perfect binoculars harness they'll be a millionaire, the S4 gear is one I've heard lots of good things about. I had hoped Sitka would bring a great one to the tabled by all accounts they did but if your like me and don't want an additional pound strapped on your chest with your probably already heavily binos theyre not perfect same deal with the Badlands and you've already highlighted the problem with the crooked horn wish there was an answer

Bino Harness

I have the badlands and I will admit it is a bit bulky, but the magnetic closure is unbeatable. I can operate it with one hand and set my binos back inside and reseal it without messing with straps, noisy velcro or some other means of securing them. The straps also allow adjustment so that they are not bouncing or swinging around. I would give them a closer inspection.

Spitz - the Sitka is similar to the Badlands and still hasn't made it to market. They've pushed it back three or four times and now it's not expected to ship until sometime in September, so probably don't plan on using that one. I only know all this as I ordered one in June and now I'm stuck. I went through the research yesterday just like you. Some pro-hunters are using the S4 Gear Lockdown, Eastmans guys, I know I saw Seacat with one, as well as others so I looked it up. It's $60.00 less then the Sitka model and it's well thought out. For only $39.00 at most places I'm definitley buying one. I bought Swarovski's this year and I'm not taking ANY chances having my optics swinging around on my chest with the typical bino-harness.

Thanks for the input. So far nothing looks to fit the bill as well as the s4.

I have badlands. OK but still looking. Not interested in S4.
HornHunter has one. A video is up on TinesUP under their TU TV tab. Just another option for you to look at.

Brandenbowhunter posted a link with some guys from around here that had developed one that looked decent. I didn't get to see it in person. I can't for the life of me remember the name of their company. Hopefully he will read this and post it up. It was like three letters like FHP or something. I think it stood for Fish, Hunt Protect.:confused:

Brandenbowhunter posted a link with some guys from around here that had developed one that looked decent. I didn't get to see it in person. I can't for the life of me remember the name of their company. Hopefully he will read this and post it up. It was like three letters like FHP or something. I think it stood for Fish, Hunt Protect.:confused:

the company mentioned is FHF Gear (Fish, Hunt, Fight). the only experience i have is with their bear spray holster and can say from that i found it to be top quality. i'm excited to try more of their products including their bino system

I have been using a Nimrod one and that it would work great due to the over the sholder straps being webbing instead of elastic, the biggest problem I have with it is that the back "connection" piece rides up and it usually on my neck which drives me nuts. I've been thinking of trying out the S4 or may give something from FHF a look.

If you have Swaro SLC 10*42 do not get the large S4. They fall out of the side, don't ask me how I know.

Did that person get the right size eventually Dink? Do you know if that person liked them? What was your, I mean, that person's overall impression? :)

Did that person get the right size eventually Dink? Do you know if that person liked them? What was your, I mean, that person's overall impression? :)

I've not dealt with getting the right size yet. I was pissed because I called the company itself and asked what size I would need, they recommended large.

It is different for sure. It is nice to glass without any tension on the binos like with a regular bino harness. The S4 is not going to keep all dust and such off of your binos. Just didn't get to use it enough without the binos falling out the side to get a good opinion yet. Maybe I should look for the packing slip tonight!!!

Tried the S4 lockdown for my 8x42 Leica Geovids. I picked the large version off the shelf, but the bino holder portion didn't seem large enough. My geovids wouldn't fit in it consistently and it was a pain to close the 'lid' over the top of them with one hand. I could get it closed up with one hand, but they'd be off center or need further adjustment. Even when put in correctly there were gaps where dust would easily be able to get to my lenses.

Another issue I had is I consider myself 'medium' build, 5'9" and 165 lbs, but the harness seemed too long for me and when wearing a tshirt the harness chafed the sides of my neck.

I promptly returned it. I meant to try out my 10x42 Nikon Monarchs in it for comparison and see if it worked better for them, but forgot to before I returned it.

I have tried many, the classic crooked horn with crooked horn bino cover, the IPI bino manager, the Mad Dog (IPI copycat) bino manager, the Badlands bino protector, and the S4 Lockdown. The one I like the best so far is a home brew one I made using the IPI bino manager harness and a crooked horn bino cover.

Not the best picture, but here it is...
TKO%2525202010%252520Bull%2525205.JPG

I've been waiting for the 46 Rail bino harness to come out, but so far nothing from them. I've placed and order with Paul at FHFgear.com for one of his bino harnesses. I'm curious and would like to try that one out.

Ron

I have been using a Nimrod one and that it would work great due to the over the sholder straps being webbing instead of elastic, the biggest problem I have with it is that the back "connection" piece rides up and it usually on my neck which drives me nuts. I've been thinking of trying out the S4 or may give something from FHF a look.

I talked to the Nimrod guys and looked at theirs, I do like how the shoulder straps aren't elastic which seems like it would work well in reducing bouncing, but I haven't tried it in the field yet.

Just saw this

Just saw this. I'm working on Ron's now. His Geovids are ginormous compared to some of the others I've built for. The interest is exciting and scary at the same time. No way I'm going to get many more done before I have to be hunting myself. Not to mention the day job.

A pic of the first batch was uploaded to my picasa web album, and I'm still working on getting all the harnesses done. It won't be long before someone rips this off, so remember where you saw them first! (And mine are made in the USA).

I'll try and follow this to see if there's any feedback or ideas to add. Thanks, Paul at FHF.

Aw, come on Paul! My 8x42 Geovids aren't that much bigger than say, 10x42 EL's. :D ;)

Thanks for modifying it to fit my Geovids! Looking forward to receiving it and putting it to use!

Ron

Just got the S4 Lockdown. I'm seriously impressed with the quality for dollar ratio here. That said I ordered the large and my new Swaro 10 x 50 EL's are a little snug, but this harness is unlike any I've ever used and I'm lovin' it. I'm still waiting for my Sitka Bino Bivy to arrive (maybe they'll ship next year) and I think that's a better option. You can put a cleaning rag in it and the bino's are completely protected from dust and grime.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back