Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Big woods whitetails

My brother-in-law is a warden in Virginia. They have laws against shining a light at deer with or without a weapon, but it is still incredibly difficult to enforce. He spends a lot of nights laying in the brush with nothing to show for it.
He needs to come to Craig County. We could use some Warden presence. I have never seen one here. I did see one in Botetourt County...once...about 19 years ago!

Big woods whitetails. Guess that could apply in many areas of North America. Certainly does here in NW Ontario. Tracking is not a common way to hunt them but certainly doable in the right conditions. I have done a fair bit but my success rate was relatively low. I was much better at calling in deer in big woods. Mature whitetails who know you are following do some amazing things to try and throw you off. I am a trophy hunter so these days I rely on trail camera's and good visual of target so tracking is not part of my arsenal most of the time.

There are some good whitetail on public land here in the 4000-5000 ft elevation range in the national forest, but it takes some work to find them. T20191123_081806-600x800.jpgIMG_3314.jpg20200523_170302.jpgHUNT0007-800x449 (1).JPGHUNT0214_copy_800x449.jpghese bucks have never been within a mile or 3 of agriculture in their lives. The few that can dodge lions and wolves long enough to reach their potential are rare, but worth the effort. Maybe not magazine cover booners raised on food plots, but the jawbone tells the trophy quality as much as the rack imo.

Last edited:
F2CA9267-6600-4483-91AE-B6FB17EA7D83.jpeg

These were all taken in the Big Woods of Michigan’s Upper Peninsula on National Forest land. There isn’t an AG field for miles, as a matter of fact there isn’t any type of field for miles. LOL. Tough to hunt since there’s no real pinch points. They can just walk around you. Most were taken while still hunting.

Last edited:
Nice post, do you find rutting activity is later in the northern elevations?

The peak of the rut is usually about a week into November. Rifle season always opens on Nov. 15th, it's not uncommon to witness some rut activity early in the season.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardMargarine
Back