Caribou Gear

Big PIG 322 lbs

Double Naught Spy

Video: https://youtu.be/Mt1oFM1EW4U

Took a hunting buddy of mine down to central Texas where I have been doing hog control on a ranch for the last several weeks. This bruiser appeared just before sun down and we had it down by twilight after a round about stalk through the oats field to get a shooting solution.

Checking out the wounds and video afterwards, my buddy's first shot appears to have gone through the hog's boiler room area nicely and certainly would have been fatal in the very near future, but the hog ran. We landed at least 5 more shots on him before the last shot clipped his head and he dropped. Even then, he was still breathing and blinking and had to be finished off with a pistol.

The landowner asked hog big he was and how we determined weight in the field (heart girth estimate), then had us bring the hog up to the house where we confirmed the weight on a scale.

Later, we came across a piglet sounder from which the adults had been taken previously.

Not very impressive shooting. Shooting pigs with Hornady target bullets is not my idea of doing it right, but they did end up in the truck! Thermal is interesting stuff.

Not very impressive shooting. Shooting pigs with Hornady target bullets is not my idea of doing it right, but they did end up in the truck! Thermal is interesting stuff.

Most of the shooting appeared to be from the other guy and not from the guy doing the talking and videoing. The first shot from the other guy appeared to hit the hog good before the reticle of the guy videoing was even on him for a shot and all of his were when it was running. IMHO hitting him 6 of 7 shots running in the dark with those scopes wasn't bad at all and a hog hit with those rounds may go a good distance unless you shoot one in the head, preferably in the ear area. That's where I've always shot them when standing and they go right down, but I've never tried the night hunting like his videos show. Incidentally, the SST bullet by Hornady IS NOT a target bullet. I would be using their Interlock or even better their Interbond for a big, tough hog, but the guy shoots a ton of hogs, so those SSTs are getting the job done, especially on the smaller stuff. However, if I was out to shoot a big boar like that I would be shooting the Interbonds as my first choice. I reload their BTSPs in three different calibers and their performance is great up through deer-size game. When I get into elk the Interbond gets used. The following is C/Pd right from the Hornady website:

SST® (Super Shock Tip)
Streamlined for ultra-flat trajectories our SST contains a polymer tip for rapid expansion and maximum energy transfer. The match-grade jacket delivers surgical accuracy while heavy construction with InterLock feature delivers deep penetration every time. Find out more...

Rapid, controlled expansion with deep penetration.
Recommended muzzle velocity range: 2000 to 3300 fps

Last edited:
Back