Big move

Wallydog,
The birds have been moving through since lst Friday afternoon. I was in Scobey yesterday and watched THOUSANDS of snows as well a couple of flights of specs headed south. We are loaded up with Lesser Canada's and Hutchinsons. What is weird is I shot three teal last Sunday. Most big geese and mallards are still hanging up north somewhere. They are trickling down but no big moves

Nemont

I was at Freezeout Lake on Tuesday. The biologist said he estimated close to 100k snows on the lake on Sunday. Story of my life, should've been here yesterday. It was almost entirely frozen over Tuesday with only very small pockets of water open. I figure still 5-10k birds on the lake and I got my 4 snows.

The river is starting to get some good populations of birds as the still water gets hard.

Last week I scouted a small slough and as I watched the birds through the spotter I saw a MAGNIFICENT pintail-mallard hybrid. Unfortunately I couldn't get access to the slough and the birds weren't feeding in any of the surrounding fields (lots of leased land around anyway).

Nemo, was it a bw teal or greenwing? It's not uncommon for the greenwings to hang around until freezeup.

I also shot my first goldeneye this week, and after cooking it, it may be my last :D

Moosie, still some coots around for you to add to the wall.

Smalls,

My dad shot one of those mallard-pintail hybrids in the sacramento valley back in the day. He shot it at refuge and the biologist at the check station asked if he could keep it to display at the visitor center. They called it a "mantail". I wonder if it is still there?

Fowladdict

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back