MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

big green egg

Indianajoe

I was given a big green egg for Christmas. does anyone have advise, recipes, or suggestions on accessories I can't live without? I have the nest and side tables already.

Cheap plug in charcoal starter seems to work the best. Heat deflector and your favorite flavor of wood chips, and you’re set.

Congrats! Prepare yourself for buying lots of accessories. I’ve got the red version, which comes with more stuff, but still seem to spend a lot of coin on accessories.

Kamados make great pizzas, so get a pizza stone. I’ve done a few pizzas parties, which is a lot of fun. I make the dough and have it ready in balls for 12” pizzas. Then do a quick primer on how to press out dough for Neapolitan crust and let people have it. I have sauce and variety of toppings laid out for people to prep their pizzas. If you get the temp up around 800 degrees, it’s 2 minutes pe4 pizza to cook.

Also a soapstone for searing. I’ve done some amazing seafood (scallops, shrimp and various white fish) on my soapstone. It’s amazing what cooking at 700-800 degrees does for the texture and taste of delicate seafood. You can use a soapstone for anything you’d use cast iron for inside. But I prefer soapstone when cooking on the Kamado.

There are tons of YouTube videos online with really creative ideas. I’d suggest you watch some of those, and then you’ll start seeing others pop up in your feed. I’ve gotten some great ideas (ie. scallops) from stuff popping up in my YouTube feed.

Good luck, and keep us posted with the results!

I have the Primo version of that egg. LOVE IT!!! When you get it going (I use a heat gun to start it, and only use chunk charcoal) put some potatoes in foil in there first at the low heat. Let them go for a few hours then add your meet. You won't believe how creamy they are. So good.

There are thousands of youtubes, tons of facebook groups, forums, you name it. You have entered the amazing zone.

Literally the only thing I know that is even remotely associated with the Big Green Egg is a recipe from a Big Green Egg forum called the Great Pumpkin. One of the greatest fall feasts I’ve ever experienced.

Best advice I can give you is learn to regulate the temp before you attempt any big cooks (ribs, brisket, etc.). It's crazy easy to get it very hot, and much easier to get it hot than to cool it down. Learn the basics of building the fire, setting the vents, etc. The beauty of the Egg, and other ceramic cookers, is how long it will hold a constant temp, which is where it really shines for long cooks such as brisket, pork shoulder, etc. It's very efficient in the usage of charcoal.

Personally, I'd do burgers, steaks, chicken, etc on it - using it as a regular grill - before your first attempt at ribs, brisket, pork shoulder.

Learn how to "burp" it. Google it lol.

As far as accessories, the first thing I'd buy is the plate setter. This is what allows you to cook on indirect heat. Otherwise it's just another grill. A good dual probe digital temp gauge that measures the temp of the grill and the meat is another good gadget to have. There are a host of other cool gadgets on the market for them, but in terms of must haves, I'd rank those near the top. Good lump charcoal makes a big difference. The brands with smaller lump will clog the charcoal grate and vent holes and not burn as efficiently. I I like B&B Brand, Rockwood, or Royal Oak Lump. Don't use lighter fluid in it to start the charcoal. I like to use the all natural "tumbleweed" starters. Two or three will have a good bed of coals going in short order.

I've been cooking on one for over 10 years and love it. It's not the only grill I have, but it is my favorite. Doing a ham and a whitetail hindquarter on mine tomorrow for New Year's Eve dinner.

There's a lot of good info on the Egghead forums too - how to's, recipes, etc. Enjoy!

A good dual probe digital temp gauge that measures the temp of the grill and the meat is another good gadget to have.
I second this! I’ve been using the Meater probes and have been really happy with them. They are WiFi enabled and a single probe reads both internal ,eat temp and grill temp, so you can watch temps from your phone vs. having to go outside to check it - especially useful for those overnight low-and-slow cooks so you don’t have to get out of bed to check temps!

Like others said, get the conveggtor. The trick is putting an aluminum pan or other dish full of water on top of the ceramic if you intend to smoke.
Get the rain cap as well.
All told, I really get down with the Green Egg. It does most of my outdoor cooking.

Best advice I can give you is learn to regulate the temp before you attempt any big cooks (ribs, brisket, etc.). It's crazy easy to get it very hot, and much easier to get it hot than to cool it down. Learn the basics of building the fire, setting the vents, etc. The beauty of the Egg, and other ceramic cookers, is how long it will hold a constant temp, which is where it really shines for long cooks such as brisket, pork shoulder, etc. It's very efficient in the usage of charcoal.

Personally, I'd do burgers, steaks, chicken, etc on it - using it as a regular grill - before your first attempt at ribs, brisket, pork shoulder.

Learn how to "burp" it. Google it lol.

As far as accessories, the first thing I'd buy is the plate setter. This is what allows you to cook on indirect heat. Otherwise it's just another grill. A good dual probe digital temp gauge that measures the temp of the grill and the meat is another good gadget to have. There are a host of other cool gadgets on the market for them, but in terms of must haves, I'd rank those near the top. Good lump charcoal makes a big difference. The brands with smaller lump will clog the charcoal grate and vent holes and not burn as efficiently. I I like B&B Brand, Rockwood, or Royal Oak Lump. Don't use lighter fluid in it to start the charcoal. I like to use the all natural "tumbleweed" starters. Two or three will have a good bed of coals going in short order.

I've been cooking on one for over 10 years and love it. It's not the only grill I have, but it is my favorite. Doing a ham and a whitetail hindquarter on mine tomorrow for New Year's Eve dinner.

There's a lot of good info on the Egghead forums too - how to's, recipes, etc. Enjoy!
This is really good advice. I’ve had my egg for 15 years now and it’s what makes BGE (and other egg style grills) so nice; all of the parts are replaceable. This BGE should last as long as you want it to last but it depends on you to take care of it.

Coal matters. Everyone has their own opinions on what works best for lump coal. I do like BGE lump but it can be expensive depending on how often you use it. I have used Royal Oak and Cowboy but I always end up back at BGE brand.

I think there are some essential accessories.

1) I like the electric (plugin) BGE Eggniter.
2) A plate setter is a must for longer cooks. It helps create the good air flow but indirect heat.
3) the cast iron grates are worth the money.

Learning temp control matters. I am including a picture that BGE posted not long ago that will likely help you get up to speed. Just remember a temp adjustment takes a good 15 minutes to make a difference.

A good meat probe is a must and you should consider another temp gauge for inside the BGE. I think a really good way to learn temp control is on pork butts. It’s a pretty cheap cut of meat and it’s really difficult to screw up.

A nice feature of these grills is their ability to get high temps. Try high heat sear on a steak and then finish in the oven. Try using it to bake cinnamon rolls that provides a nice smoky flavor. My smoked blackberry cobbler is a hit.

Really, the world is your oyster with it and I find it’s difficult to screw something up, especially if you are using a meat probe. When smoking, Always remember that if you’re looking, you’re not cooking. So a meat probe with a separate display is nice.

Hope it helps and feel free to ask more questions.

Attachments

• 6FABE942-01CC-45A8-921B-E86F8D32D49B.jpeg
    6FABE942-01CC-45A8-921B-E86F8D32D49B.jpeg
    272.3 KB · Views: 7
I can't believe I didn't post this in my first response. I made this, and my family went nuts on it.

This is a must do.

Edit - These are awesome any way, but served on a grilled slider bun, with a bit of coleslaw, it's paradise.

so far I have been enjoying cooking on my egg. I have bought the playe setter and expander kit. I have always cooked on charcoal so temp relugating curve has been easier than expected. we will be making pizza soon. thanks for all the advise so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back