Yeti GOBOX Collection

Big Game/Large Caliber lever action

The BLR's are great guns:love: --IMHO, But they will not get one as I dont think the 358 works of them

Brent, that is a nice rifle. I know this sounds weird, but it is to nice, but for them , maybe, it sure is nice

Elkduds Marlin ? or we have bought used rifles for years in an effort to get what we want

Folks seem to dance around the Winchester 95. So do I, but that's just me being me. Why everyone else? In a 40, 38, or 30 caliber, it would do the job pretty admirably.

PB what is to love about a BLR? They make me hurt, just thinking about them. I looked up Ridge Runners on line. They could give a BLR a run for its money in the uglies department. I won't live long enough to have either one of them, even if I am somehow immortal.

For some years I have been watching for an experienced lever gun for the niche of a sub-300 yd elk stopper. It turns out the history, esthetics and handiness of some models have eclipsed the ballistic standard I initially sought. A recent example is my fading fascination w the Savage m99. Likely the most prescient lever design, yet every time I handle one my thumb relentlessly seeks the absent external hammer. The 99 is off my list.

Trying now to overcome a subjective aversion to the BLR. Accurate, incorporating the smoothest levering mechanism, chambered in a useful array of bottleneck cartridges, loading pointed bullets from a stacked magazine, the BLR even has a hammer to entertain my right thumb. It comes close to evoking the m94 carbine my dad handed me, to take my first deer. But it finally falls short, owing to made-in-Japan inauthenticity. Better in most ways than its inspiration, ultimately unsatisfying.

"Sorry 'bout that, chief!" Technical difficulties interrupted this post. Your regularly scheduled dose of my exclusive opinion continues:

I probably already had what I now want, when I landed a 70's vintage Marlin 444S. I chose it over a 45 cal.@ the time so I could share bulk bullets w my 44 mag revolver. When I topped it w see-through rings and a 1.5x4 Widefield scope I had a woods companion that carried like a worn leather wallet, pointed like my index finger, and spoke with an authority that echoed through the timber. And that was long before pointed bullets were suited for tube magazines. After I got it just the way I wanted it, the results exceeded expectations. Later my attention wandered and I let it go. It remains the One That Got Away.

Modern times find the 444 resurgent, as some states list it as the excelsior of legal straight-walled chamberings. Prices have increased inordinately, giving me pause. Until I get this sorted out, maybe I'll take Dad's 94 out and empty a couple magazines, as fast as I can shuck that well-worn lever. The thumb wants what it wants.

little assist here guys. I am not sure but I think Brent is saying he does not like the BLR's LOL, just jikinng Brent

Guy, glad the 45/70 found its way back into your life. You have beautiful country right out your back door to hunt black bear elk, deer, Dr Mike, Cheyenne and I were discussing you and what a fine man you are and wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for your service ( marine ) and for your service ( police officer ) Hope your enjoying your retirement Guy, you earned it.----oh and that is a nice looking rifle.

I would look for a winchester model 88 in 358 win. The best lever gun ever made,

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back