best way to wrap knees for backpack hiking?

fmnjr

Per the subject title, what, if any, ways of wrapping knees for support work when backpack hunting?

In reference to wrapping after the day is over, or while hiking. If while hiking, I use neoprene sleeves on both mine. I get these sharp pains on the sides of my knees when I hike. Goes away once I sleeve up.

Last edited:
Talk to your Physical Therapist. Lots of good braces out there.

Hang in there. Can be a trying journey.

I’ve got some neoprene knee sleeves already. Just checking in to see what else this HT crew might be doing. So far trekking poles and sleeves are doing it for me.

Per the subject title, what, if any, ways of wrapping knees for support work when backpack hunting?
Copper compression knee sleeves have worked really well for me since surgery and rehab of a severed patellar tendon. Photo below one year later, emerging from Washakie Wilderness heading for trail's end at Ishawooa Trailhead, South Fork Shoshone River after seven-day, eighty-mile trek through the Thorofare.

Hermit emerging from wilderness.JPG

Last edited:
I find it hard to get the neoprene sleeves to stay in place, they seem to want to bunch up behind my knee. I think I'd be better off with something much shorter that just went around the knee itself.

Copper compression knee sleeves have worked really well for me since surgery and rehab of a severed patellar tendon. Photo below one year later, emerging from Washakie Wilderness heading for trail's end at Ishawooa Trailhead, South Fork Shoshone River after seven-day, eighty-mile trek through the Thorofare.

View attachment 276734
I've seen those copper sleeves advertised. Thinking there were gimmicky, I passed them by. Based on your experience, they seem to be worth a shot. Congrats on the successful rehab of the patella, that's a tough one.

I've seen those copper sleeves advertised. Thinking there were gimmicky, I passed them by. Based on your experience, they seem to be worth a shot. Congrats on the successful rehab of the patella, that's a tough one.
Yes, I watched Jerry Rice and Bret Favre advertising them, so ordered one. Put it on my injured knee, took a run, returned and ordered another immediately! I have three pairs now, of various support strengths. I highly recommend them.

Germanium embedded knee sleeve study:

I’ve never used a sleeve or wrap, but I used to have sharp pain in my knees when hiking, especially going downhill. Talked to my Dr and he prescribed a whole array of stretching. It worked wonders and fixed the root cause. I rarely have issues now, and when it flares up, I get back on stretches and it goes away.

Knee support? Look at the ones Kenetrek catalog. Started with one now have 2 that the other half wears on uneven ground. They are pricey but they don't move and you can wash them. They are $104 each.

Knee support? Look at the ones Kenetrek catalog. Started with one now have 2 that the other half wears on uneven ground. They are pricey but they don't move and you can wash them. They are $104 each.
That's what I have, knee, ankle and wrist.

Not to hijack the thread, but I’d be curious to hear from anyone using k-tape…
K-Tape can do wonders but for many people it is a placebo. There are proper ways to tape for different maladies.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back