Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Best time to scout for elk?

Sdhunters

I drew a NR Wyoming General Tag and plan to make a 5 day trip to scout some areas. Will hunt opener for a few days and than 10 days near end of September. Few of my questions: Better to go scouting mid-August or July? Should my primary focus be trying to locate cow/calf groups? Plan to truck/base camp. Would camping along NF road be most popular arrangement?

I think the best solution is to go early before the hunt to get familiar with the area and try to locate or cancel out areas. If you can’t make that work then you need to go as close to your hunt date as possible in my opinion.

I also suggest going before your hunt to learn the roads, trails, and camp spots. Look for plan A,B,C, and D even if they are 50 mi apart. This payed off for me last year because of fire the area I wanted to hunt was closed but I had back up spots. Locating elk might be ok for your opening weekend hunt but by the end of september the deck may be shuffled. Camping of the forest roads is the best option stay mobile.

I also suggest going before your hunt to learn the roads, trails, and camp spots. Look for plan A,B,C, and D even if they are 50 mi apart. This payed off for me last year because of fire the area I wanted to hunt was closed but I had back up spots. Locating elk might be ok for your opening weekend hunt but by the end of september the deck may be shuffled. Camping of the forest roads is the best option stay mobile.
Thanks for the information and opinion! Resembles my current plan.

I think the best solution is to go early before the hunt to get familiar with the area and try to locate or cancel out areas. If you can’t make that work then you need to go as close to your hunt date as possible in my opinion.
I think getting familiar with the area is key as you have stated and is reason I am looking to go earlier. Hope the layout of the terrain will help with daily planning.

Back