Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Best Time to Fly Fish the Bighorns?

NR_Hunter

So... I'm currently sandwiched between the 5th Minneapolis Police Precinct and 38th and Chicago, and I've came to the conclusion that I really need a vacation.

I think I've decided on going to the Bighorns for some fly fishing. Has anyone been out that way fly fishing before? I'm thinking mid-July works best with my schedule. I don't want to go over The 4th. I really want to camp but I'll have to see if my girlfriend is up for it. I wouldn't say she's high maintenance, but that long in a tent or camper might be a little much for her. I'd be willing to push into MT to fly fish the Bighorn River as well.

Anything worth seeing in Sheridan?

Anyways, just throwing this out there to keep me distracted from all the damn sirens that have been going non-stop the past 4 nights.

Personally, I'd go sooner than later with traffic from tourism being down right now. It's a long shot, but you might have a little more room. Downside is that some of the water is still fast/dirty.

Personally, I'd go sooner than later with traffic from tourism being down right now. It's a long shot, but you might have a little more room. Downside is that some of the water is still fast/dirty.

Thanks for the info. Is it possible to out hike people? I don’t mind hiking back to smaller streams even if it means smaller fish. I’ve been reading online that even the end of June the water can possibly be a little high still like you said.

My GF is an accountant so month end is a hard time for her to take off work.

My side is blown out still and gonna be awhile....n fork opens mid july and usually thats about when your able to start to fish it again. Some of the hike lakes and such would be good backup plan if you come early. I was in montana yesterday and the yellowstone has got its spring push in full effect. Wait to atleast week after 4th, bighorns are crowded then and week after much more enjoyable.

Thanks for the info. Is it possible to out hike people? I don’t mind hiking back to smaller streams even if it means smaller fish. I’ve been reading online that even the end of June the water can possibly be a little high still like you said.

My GF is an accountant so month end is a hard time for her to take off work.
Probably can find a spot most of the time. Remember, the Bighorns are really, big. LOTS of land and water to offer. But, yes definitely put a hike on the list to some back country lakes.

Yep. July through September for the N Tongue and the higher lakes. It’s hard to go wrong fishing anywhere in the Bighorns. September can be amazing if you can make the timing work.

My wife is from Buffalo. We go out fly fishing every July. Plenty of trout fishing in July. A lot of places to avoid the crowds without lookng too hard. Sheridan has some great things to offer. Tent camping can get a bit chilly at night, so bring good blankets, bags. Up higher, it is not uncommon to see temps in the 30s at night... in July.
You don't have the extreme heat and humidity like we do here in the midwest... or all the bugs. I enjoy tent camping a LOT more in WY. The Bighorns used to seem like our own private paradise 25 years ago. Pretty darned crowded in peak times now. You walk just a little bit and the crowds disappear. Sheridan will have enty of restaurants, shops, fly shops, etc. for you. Stop at the fly shop, buy a fly or two and ask. They will point you where you need to go. Just don't bring a bunch of people with you... lol. We are moving there after Christmas.

So... I'm currently sandwiched between the 5th Minneapolis Police Precinct and 38th and Chicago, and I've came to the conclusion that I really need a vacation.

I think I've decided on going to the Bighorns for some fly fishing. Has anyone been out that way fly fishing before? I'm thinking mid-July works best with my schedule. I don't want to go over The 4th. I really want to camp but I'll have to see if my girlfriend is up for it. I wouldn't say she's high maintenance, but that long in a tent or camper might be a little much for her. I'd be willing to push into MT to fly fish the Bighorn River as well.

Anything worth seeing in Sheridan?

Anyways, just throwing this out there to keep me distracted from all the damn sirens that have been going non-stop the past 4 nights.

Water is high and dirty in places. We have flood warnings down at my house on the west side of the bighorns. My budy went up high last week above shell and said the ice just came off sibley lake and all the streams where high and fast. I'd wait a few weeks.

Any time you can! I’ve enjoyed July and August for Bighorns trout. Willingness to hike in some miles can produce phenomenal fishing.

Water is high and dirty in places. We have flood warnings down at my house on the west side of the bighorns. My budy went up high last week above shell and said the ice just came off sibley lake and all the streams where high and fast. I'd wait a few weeks.

Thanks for the local update. Right now it’s looking like the week of July 13th is gonna be what works best for my gf and I. Think water will be down by then?

Any time you can! I’ve enjoyed July and August for Bighorns trout. Willingness to hike in some miles can produce phenomenal fishing.

Good info to have for sure. Would love to kill two birds with one stones and be able to get a hike and also fish. IIFRC, you’re from Iowa. Totally unrelated, but do you fly fish for trout in Iowa as well?

IIFRC, you’re from Iowa. Totally unrelated, but do you fly fish for trout in Iowa as well?
Trout fishing in Iowa is pretty pitiful IMO. Others might disagree. I’ve never even attempted it. It would be more fun to go for bluegills or carp with a fly rod here as you can get a lot more action. Having been spoiled fishing the northern Appalachians, WY, and other trout streams in MN, WI it’s hard to step down to murky stocked ponds, or stocked streams.

Trout fishing in Iowa is pretty pitiful IMO. Others might disagree. I’ve never even attempted it. It would be more fun to go for bluegills or carp with a fly rod here as you can get a lot more action. Having been spoiled fishing the northern Appalachians, WY, and other trout streams in MN, WI it’s hard to step down to murky stocked ponds, or stocked streams.
That’s a bummer, I figured there might be some solid streams in the NW corner of IA. MN might not be out west but I really can’t complain about the trout fishing. The size of some of our brown trout that come out streams 10 feet across doesn’t even make sense to me.

I hunted the Big Horns 2 years ago. Made a summer scouting trip in July, hunted archery in Sept and hunted rifle. In the summer we stayed at Meadowlark Lake Resort right on the lake and glad we did. The thunderstorms were some gully washers. They offer cabins and have a small old motel. I would stay at the motel again. Typical OLD place with thin walls etc but a nice balcony to look out over the lake and a full bath. Watched a decent bull moose that spent his time in the willows across from us the entire stay. The place had been quite rundown and the Forest Service gave the new leasees of the property a great deal. They have poured a bunch of money into it and were fixing up the cabins while we were there. We camped at Sitting Bull campground in Sept and for rifle (Nice campground with some good hiking trails out the back) We had plenty of weather in Sept and during rifle (September was worse). We ate at the lodge restaurant a lot! Good food and friendly staff. We saw several moose each time we were there and not just some Bullwinkle’s...
As to the fishing the brook trout were a blast. Acted like they had never seen a dry fly. Every pool that looked fishy was. There are places to fish all around there close by. We enjoyed visiting 10 Sleep and seeing the elk out on the hayfields. A bonus was hiking without being concerned about grizzlies for a change.
The funny thing about this thread is I found it when using the search function for any fishing info for Lake Minnetonka. Going to be in Minneapolis the last weekend in July. Thought it might be fun to fish a day.

Last edited:
That’s a bummer, I figured there might be some solid streams in the NW corner of IA. MN might not be out west but I really can’t complain about the trout fishing. The size of some of our brown trout that come out streams 10 feet across doesn’t even make sense to me.
The northeast corner is where the trout are. There are some streams that offer only stocked trout while others offer a good chance at a wild brown trout or Brooke trout. Se Mn and Sw Wisconsin also offer trout fishing. We are all part of an area called the Driftless Area that has cold water streams able to support trout. If you or anyone is interested feel free to message me and I can help point you in the right direction for Driftless area trout fishing.

The northeast corner is where the trout are. There are some streams that offer only stocked trout while others offer a good chance at a wild brown trout or Brooke trout. Se Mn and Sw Wisconsin also offer trout fishing. We are all part of an area called the Driftless Area that has cold water streams able to support trout. If you or anyone is interested feel free to message me and I can help point you in the right direction for Driftless area trout fishing.

Oops, I meant NE IA. I've been fishing SE MN regularly for the first time this spring/summer and I'm often times a stones throw away from IA. I'll shoot you a pm for sure tho.

Been years since I fished the Bighorns so take this for what its worth. In the BHs people were not an issue anywhere I went. I think in the couple dozen trips I made out there, I saw maybe a handful of people fishing. Mid July through September (and later depending) is fantastic fishing in the mountains. Once the hoppers are out, its stupid easy to catch trout. I liked fishing the west side more so than the east side. Its a bit farther but some pretty wild country, amazing streams, decent access and hardly a person around. The North Fork of the Powder is a truly amazing and the fishing wasn't too bad either... one of the neatest places I've ever fished, and I've fished a hell of a lot of places. The lakes around Cloud Peak are also phenomenal...

The Black Hills has a few decent spots to fish as well, but more people.

Been years since I fished the Bighorns so take this for what its worth. In the BHs people were not an issue anywhere I went. I think in the couple dozen trips I made out there, I saw maybe a handful of people fishing. Mid July through September (and later depending) is fantastic fishing in the mountains. Once the hoppers are out, its stupid easy to catch trout. I liked fishing the west side more so than the east side. Its a bit farther but some pretty wild country, amazing streams, decent access and hardly a person around. The North Fork of the Powder is a truly amazing and the fishing wasn't too bad either... one of the neatest places I've ever fished, and I've fished a hell of a lot of places. The lakes around Cloud Peak are also phenomenal...

The Black Hills has a few decent spots to fish as well, but more people.

Right on. I'm gong to be staying quite a ways away from the north fork of the powder. I'm camping in the Bald Mountain area on the north side of the range. Cloud Peak is still a ways off as well, but I think it might be worth the haul down there for a day, the lakes look pretty amazing on google earth and some of the streams looks like they couldn't be in a more picturesque location.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back