Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Best pack for the money???

geetar

What is the best backpack for the money or which one should I actually spend big on for backcountry hunting?? Which ones did you not like as well?

What is the best backpack for the money or which one should I actually spend big on for backcountry hunting?? Which ones did you not like as well?
I have a kuiu 5200 and my son has a mystery ranch we are both happy with our packs

I think a used kuiu icon is a pretty good bang for your buck if you’re trying to have a decent pack and not spend a fortune.

I’ve have a stone glacier and love it

As for ones I didn’t like, Mystery ranch marshall.

I think a used kuiu icon is a pretty good bang for your buck if you’re trying to have a decent pack and not spend a fortune.

I’ve have a stone glacier and love it

As for ones I didn’t like, Mystery ranch marshall.
Thanks brother! I’m looking at Stone Glacier mostly because I think it just might be worth the investment to have one that good.

Buy once cry once. I have 2 SGs and absolutely love them. I say it all the time on here that company as a whole with products and support is a tough one to beat. When your investing that much into a pack and I'm sure you'll be back for more. You want someone to stand behind it, and they do without a doubt.

In order of preference for me: Stone Glacier, Kifaru, and MR. If you're working hard I feel it's certainly worth the investment.
For the money though, you'd be hard pressed to beat a used Osprey, older Dana, or Arc'teryx Bora. That's if you're talking just value per dollar spent.

Like others have said Stone Glacier and Kifaru are probably sitting above all other competition for all things considered. Best to try them on and get them fitted correctly. I have an older Eberlestock Dragonfly with all the attachments that is pretty heavy but is indestructible. I still use it often. I do want to upgrade to an SG.

The answer maybe something that you find used in the classifieds. Or when Mystery Ranch runs some of their packs through on Camofire.

You can generally see some Stone Glacier packs go through in the classifieds on Rokslide for $500ish that look to be in pretty good shape. That's still pretty spendy but about 75% of the cost of a new one. The trick is finding one with the right waist belt size in the configuration that you want.

You occasionally see some Kifaru packs on there as well.

I wouldn't buy a brand new eberlestock or badlands. If you wanted to try either of them you can usually find them in the classifieds for around half the price of a new one.

The best pack for your money is going to be the found in the classifieds after the new generation of packs from a particular company are made available. I've had Kifaru and now Stone Glacier. Both are fantastic.

One of the best decisions I've made was upgrading from a Badlands 2200 to and Exo 3500. The Exo is so versatile and hauls loads so well. I really wanted to like the Mystery Ranch packs, but could never get them to feel good on my back (fwiw this was a couple of years ago).

I've got a Kifaru, and love it. I had some profit sharing cash last summer when I changed jobs and jumped in. It was between the SG and Kifaru for me as the MR and Exo packs had shorter frames that felt like they were riding up on me. Total preference thing though, they both make great products.

What sealed the deal for me on the Kifaru is I was planning on driving through Denver on my way from TX to ID, and could pick it up at their shop. They fitted me right there, pulled the stays out of the frame and gave them a custom tweak, and swapped out the lumbar pad to something bigger. It rides like a Cadillac. It's a little heavier than the SG, but it just rides so damn well the juice is worth the squeeze.

I recently bought an EXO 5500 and the customer service was amazing. I expected a 6-8 week wait time and it was at my door in less than 10 days. SG and MR were also on the top of my list but I liked the EXO's layout better.

I am also looking into a new pack and have been looking at Seek Outside. No one mentioned them here but I can only find good things about them. And they have 28in frames available which might be a big deal if you are like me and have a very long torso. Also Exo is supposed to be releasing new packs here shortly that you might want to check out before deciding. Or pick up one of their old ones when everybody is jumping on the new thing.

Between camo fire and some online retailers you can get MR's on great sales. I got my metcalf almost 30% off, and when they went through Camofire they were pushing 40% off I believe. I haven't seen any of the other big name brands go on sales that big, and even the used market is pretty stiff due to the quality of these packs. MR's are also carried in Scheels stores if you have one near by to try it on and get the feel.

I went with Exo so I can put different packs on same frame. Bought 5500 and will add a 2000 down the road without needing a new frame

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back