Best Flask for The Evening Campfire at Hunting Camp

Any stainless I don't care what it is. whiskey in a stainless flask is unbeatable.

Shame on anybody who drinks while handling a firearm. Illegal and dumb! But, the Op didn't say whether this was for camp use or while out hunting, so benefit of doubt applies in here. Surely common sense and decency prevails in this situation.

Yeah, up here booze in the field will undoubtedly get your licenses revoked, hunting and federal firearms. Not sure on the federal revocation but seems to make sense. Beat up your spouse and you'll lose it for sure.

For some years I carried a mickey of cheap scotch in my saddlebag during fall hunting trips. It was for medicinal purposes to "warm up" as needed. I chose scotch for the same reason I drink Coors Lite: I hate the taste. That way I don't abuse the stuff (generally I very much like the taste of beer ... probably too much ... and they make very good beer up here). Then I learned that drinking alcohol is not a good thing to do if hypothermic. Sure, there's the energy rush, but it also dilates the blood vessels which sends blood back to extremities instead of in the body's core where heat can be conserved better. Eventually the mickey was smashed when I had an arguement with my horse resulting in both of us going down the mountain end over end. Didn't care much about the scotch or even losing my glasses, but she broke the Springfield's stock in half. Fortunately my fine roping saddle didn't get broken ... fortunately for her or she might have become grizzly chow on the spot. It took all of twenty minutes to empty my frustration while she was bowlined short to a lodgepole. I was alone and twenty miles from the truck. Wish I could say it never happened again but she piled me up one last time in September 1984. Wrecked my knee for a while. I had to keep her though. Too many redeeming qualities. Duchess was a great pack horse. Anyway, I never replaced the bottle of booze and have hunted and camped dry ever since.

Platypus duo lock.
It works great, but I retired mine this season because I’m too much of a twink for hard liquor and it’s just been dead weight hanging off my pack.

I've used a plastic nalgene flask for the past few years. I took off the excess plastic on the cap and around the bottle. Wild Turkey American Honey has become my camp liquor. Flask only comes out when the hunting day is over. No exceptions.

For the boys who're quick to judge a brother for having a little whiskey in his/ her pack, lighten up. I’m not too proud to say that I’ve carried a little something to have a nip, in celebration after an animal hits the ground.
Let us all try to assume that our colleagues, on this sight are grown-ups who know the rules, laws and cultural norms in their communities.
We could all make a list of no-no’s that are the norm in some places.
With all of the caveats of laws and rules out of the way, my flask of choice has been the Stanley for years:

it also makes a great gift/stocking stuffer.

Last edited:
I typically only carry a plain Jane silver flask for ice fishing filled 50/50 with crown apple and fireball. Take a bottle of Jim Beam to camp for after hours and or post success. My go to sipping bourbon is Basil Hayden’s

For the boys who're quick to judge a brother for having a little whiskey in his/ her pack, lighten up. I’m not too proud to say that I’ve carried a little something to have a nip, in celebration after an animal hits the ground.
Let us all try to assume that our colleagues, on this sight are grown-ups who know the rules, laws and cultural norms in their communities.
We could all make a list of no-no’s that are the norm in some places.
With all of the caveats of laws and rules out of the way, my flask of choice has been the Stanley for years:

it also makes a great gift/stocking stuffer.
I don't think anyone was being overly judgemental. Booze and hunting has led to many serious issues and I have encountered a couple myself. Only thing worse is drinking on the boat. Personally I avoid drinking in the field now, if for no other reason than to set an example for next generation. Anyway, hunting is too important to handicap myself and I have depression issues now so best to stay away from it.

I don't think anyone was being overly judgemental. Booze and hunting has led to many serious issues and I have encountered a couple myself. Only thing worse is drinking on the boat. Personally I avoid drinking in the field now, if for no other reason than to set an example for next generation. Anyway, hunting is too important to handicap myself and I have depression issues now so best to stay away from it.
A very fair and reasonable response. I think we can all agree that boozing and firearms are a bad combination. Coupling depression w/ alcohol induced bad decision making is a recipe for bad things.
Perhaps it’s my North Idaho, Libertarian upbringing, but I’m of the opinion that, like your example, I expect grown ups to make decisions that are best for them and their situation(s).

If you don't want to weigh in on your preferred flask or favorite whiskey then don't comment... it's not hard.

I rock a cheap plastic on to save weight. https://www.amazon.com/Rogue-Ounce-...wse:366834011&rnid=366823011&s=kitchen&sr=1-3

Then it's partially filled with Pendleton. I used to fill it all the way, but it holds a lot, and even with a couple buddies sitting around a fire after a successful kill, it's still too much. Packing out with a headache is no bueno.

I have a tote of the metal flasks but have honestly never filled one or carried one.
Always seems like a good idea but I find myself too tired when I get back to camp to drink.
I also will partake a nip of a flask that someone has offered after a kill. I have not found a nip enough to forget the rules of safe hunting.

There was a guy in elk camp this year that was pretty good at leatherwork. He had taken small flask size Bulleit bottles and covered them in leather. Thought it was a cool idea.

Back