Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Best bone saw?

I have a couple 18 inch Dandy saws. They are excellant on bone. I sent one back in to get sharpened after nearly 30 elk and the same number of deer. It was not really dull but needed a tune up. I have a 3 ft crosscut but it isn't quite as good on wood as an arbor saw.

On my second deer hunt I decided to take the ribs for grilling. My Wave 2 Leatherman worked like a charm. It just takes as good bit of time and effort to clean it afterwards.
This year I got an Outdoor edge flip 'n zip, so I can keep it with my game bags. Hope it with delivery as good a cut this year.

Last edited:
On my second deer hunt I decided to take the ribs for grilling. My Wave 2 Leatherman worked like a charm. It just takes as good bit of time and effort to clean it afterwards.
This year I got an Outdoor edge flip 'n zip, so I can keep it with my game bags. Hope it with delivery this year.
It aint coming from China is it?

61ZXG5AQZML._AC_SY355_.jpg

Gutting an elk without a saw is easy with practice so not a great reason.

I like to keep the animal intact as much as possible until it’s out of the field so it stays clean. Sawing the pelvis (and ribs) will help with cooling, but it also exposes the inner thigh meat which gets dirty if you are moving the animal. Depends on what is important at the time I guess.

Agree its easy without saw. But if have saw, can cut ribs right at the spine to carry out giant rack of bronto-sized ribs feeling like Fred Flintstone. Worth it.

I take interest in this thread as I am in need also. I like to carry a saw that can do wood and bone. Folding preferred. I had a bear brand saw non folding which went through wood very well n seemed very sturdy. I went to saw the bottom of the leg of a moose off n it busted 30% of the teeth off. Never would have imagined.
Is there a big difference between wood n bone saws ? And maybe suggestions. Is the original saw listed work as a combination blade ?
Thanks

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back