Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Best bone saw?

MaxPower

What's everyone use for a bone saw?

Sometimes I do the gutless method, and sometimes I do a traditional gutting. When I gut, I need a nice saw that can handle elk pelvis without being too big/bulky. I currently use a Wyoming saw - but that's a bit of a hassle and I worry that all that has to happen is me losing the wing nut to make the thing useless.

Thinking of something like these:

The DANDY SAW. I have had one for years. My son has one also. They are very efficient and could not be easier to use. They are USA made in Wyoming. I won't hunt without it in my pack. The 12" is the size I use and it's great for game and getting a little wood for camp.

Last edited:
The DANDY SAW. I have had one for years. My son has one also. They are very efficient and could not be easier to use. They are USA made in Wyoming. I won't hunt without it in my pack. The 12" is there size I use and it's great for game and getting a little wood for camp.
+1
BB.jpg

I have used that Gerber saw and it has zipped through loads of deer and antelope with no problem. Have no doubt it could handle an elk with no issue.

I like the compact size for the little space it takes up in a pack. And the blunt/hooked end is nice for not poking anything you don’t want to poke while sawing.

I use a silky gomboy 210, it’s the same saw I use for wood, fine tooth. Cuts wood and bone well. Light and folds up nicely.

I have used that Gerber saw and it has zipped through loads of deer and antelope with no problem. Have no doubt it could handle an elk with no issue.

I like the compact size for the little space it takes up in a pack. And the blunt/hooked end is nice for not poking anything you don’t want to poke while sawing.

Good to hear. The description says the blade is just over 3", do you have a hard time getting the sawing motion started or maintaining it with that short of a blade?

Just wondering why you need to cut the pelvis ? We leave that in the field whether gutless or conventional dressing. Might lose a little meat but no need for that extra weight on the quarters.

I used the Outdoor Edge Griz saw. I also use a fine tooth blade on my band saw that I clean up really good and disinfect to speed things up when I do my processing. That band saw pretty much gets used exclusively for butchering anymore. But in the field I use Outdoor Edge knife set with the Griz saw.

Good to hear. The description says the blade is just over 3", do you have a hard time getting the sawing motion started or maintaining it with that short of a blade?

The teeth are really aggressive, so really it’s probably half dozen strokes to get through the pelvis on deer/antelope. It’s definitely not a choice saw for loads and loads of bone cuts, but for zipping through that pelvis I love mine.

Just wondering why you need to cut the pelvis ? We leave that in the field whether gutless or conventional dressing. Might lose a little meat but no need for that extra weight on the quarters.

Cant speak for OP, but I cut the pelvis when taking an animal out whole. Rather than cut around the rectum I’ll split the pelvic bone and drag everything out the back end vs. wrestling with tying it off or pulling it back through the gut cavity. I have done both ways and with splitting the pelvis and cutting the rectum, I just prefer splitting the pelvis. Keeps my blade clean as well. I don’t mess with it when doing the gutless method. If any of that makes sense.

probably not the best but bahco laplander has the right price, doesnt weigh a ton and can do anything saws of its size should. silkys are also well regarded

i have a griz saw and it works great but no longer ever use it, getting older means smarter, i dont carry any bones other than antlers out! thru repeated practice i have learned how a quality knife with right cuts will minimize meat lose and work as good as or better than saw at joints.

Cant speak for OP, but I cut the pelvis when taking an animal out whole. Rather than cut around the rectum I’ll split the pelvic bone and drag everything out the back end vs. wrestling with tying it off or pulling it back through the gut cavity. I have done both ways and with splitting the pelvis and cutting the rectum, I just prefer splitting the pelvis. Keeps my blade clean as well. I don’t mess with it when doing the gutless method. If any of that makes sense.
That makes perfect since. Thought he was talking about for quartering.
A small hatchet works well too.

The DANDY SAW. I have had one for years. My son has one also. They are very efficient and could not be easier to use. They are USA made in Wyoming. I won't hunt without it in my pack. The 12" is the size I use and it's great for game and getting a little wood for camp.

How is it at cutting off the skull plate on elk?

What's everyone use for a bone saw?

Sometimes I do the gutless method, and sometimes I do a traditional gutting. When I gut, I need a nice saw that can handle elk pelvis without being too big/bulky. I currently use a Wyoming saw - but that's a bit of a hassle and I worry that all that has to happen is me losing the wing nut to make the thing useless.

Thinking of something like these:

The only thing a bone saw is nice for is cutting off the horns. You don't need a bone saw to remove the guts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back