Yeti GOBOX Collection

Best 308 height @ 100

The places I deer hunt and where I used to elk hunt (back when I could draw a tag) I’ve never taken a shot over 80 yards. Heck, most places I can’t see beyond 50 yards. I zero at 100 yards.

My OP says 150gr , I am seriously looking @ Norma 180gr bond strikes after I burn through my 150gr
Sorry, I missed that. You will have to start all over if you jump up thirty grains. I suspect 180 gr in .308 is not a long distance load.

Fairly new to 308 , what is best sight in @ 100 yards for 150gr
1 inch or 2 inch high +/- , for general point and shoot 0-300 yards or so ?
There isn’t a best! Too many variables. The best sight in for your gun is what you find at the range. Do yourself a favor and the animal and practice the distance you plan on shooting. Some barrels are slow and some are fast. One 150 grain might shoot around 2750fps while another brand will shoot 3100fps.

I have a .308 absolutely love it. I've been shooting them since I was 13 or so. Eventually once I got older bought my own. My dad's old .308 and mine are both zeroed at 100. As a matter of fact every rifle I own I zero at 100. Now I don't notice much of a drop at 200. I have a old nikon pro hunter scope with the bdc reticle. Now I shoot 165 gr bullets I reload myself, not a hot load doing 2952fps. With this scope and bullet combo the drop reticle are 225, 345, 407, 504. Works great for me and in a close situation I don't have to remember to aim low to get a close shot.

+ Two 1/2 @ 100 meters will have to work
these opinions are all over the place , 308 has been around a long time, would have thought this would be more definitive
0-300 meters 150gr @ 2850fpsA9D23704-044A-4F7B-B080-A26E625EFF77.png

Last edited:
I can't see the logic in sighting most any high powered rifle for 100 yards, maybe a 30/30 is an exception. Most cartridges will only be 2 inches or a bit more high at 100 yards with a 200 yard zero. Just doing that gives you maybe 50 additional yards without worrying if you'll shoot under the animal.

Since I'm old and don't spin turrets, I sight in 3 inches high at 100 yards with my .270Win. That is very close to a 300 yard zero. The highest above the point of aim impact is 4 inches. The bullet will be 4 inches below the point of aim at roughly 340 yards. A top of the back hold would hit a deer to 400 yards or so, a bit farther for an elk.

Things would have to be well in order for me to even use the top of the back hold.

I can't see the logic in sighting most any high powered rifle for 100 yards, maybe a 30/30 is an exception. Most cartridges will only be 2 inches or a bit more high at 100 yards with a 200 yard zero. Just doing that gives you maybe 50 additional yards without worrying if you'll shoot under the animal.

Since I'm old and don't spin turrets, I sight in 3 inches high at 100 yards with my .270Win. That is very close to a 300 yard zero. The highest above the point of aim impact is 4 inches. The bullet will be 4 inches below the point of aim at roughly 340 yards. A top of the back hold would hit a deer to 400 yards or so, a bit farther for an elk.

Things would have to be well in order for me to even use the top of the back hold.
Same here, got zero interest in dialing knobs or taping a dope chit on the gun .

It took a lot of custom load development for my .308 Sako Finnlight but here is where it is at right now.

Years ago when they were a mere $40/20 I bought several boxes of Vortex .308 cartridges loaded with 150 grain Barnes TTSX BT's.

That is my long range round and it is set a whopping 4" high at 100 yards. I could never equal this factory loading's velocity. Over 2,900'/sec. With that load I am dead on a 260 yards and very comfortable shooting out to 400 yards with the energy even for elk.

Next I played with multiple powders reloading my 308 with 165 grain Barnes TSX BT,,,,until I got one that shoots about an inch high at 100 years. Virtually dead on, and there is no need to change the scope setting. Now I have two loadings to meet very different needs.

Next I again used different powders loading the 150 TSX Barnes 30-30 bullets until I got one that was just 1.5 inches to the right at 30-30 ranges. This bullet is downloaded to appropriate 30-30 velocities and has very little kick or noise.

Again, without changing my scope setting it is just wonderful for deer up close in the brush. It is a joy to shoot too.

Lastly, I loaded up some 130 grain lead bullets with a small charge of a pistol powder for small game use. They are a couple inches off even at 25 yards but for small game they work OK. I know where to aim for a marmot, rabbit or grouse in a tree

As yet I have plans to try some downloaded 30 cal M1 carbine bullets to replace the exposed lead bullet.

Time will tell on that load.

As it is right now, I have 4 different bullets I can use in my .308 without needing to change my scope settings.

On a last note, the .308 is really forgiving using different bullets. One just has to have patience and play with different powders and use Barnes bullets. When i tried this with different weights of lead core bullets it did not work well at all.

It took me about three years to get all these bullets to work so well without needing to adjust my scope, but it is so worth it to have such dependable variable game field utility from one handy light but very capable rifle/cartridge combination

Point of aim/point of impact basics to 300 yards do not need to be nebulous or remotely confusing.
Some basic ballistics principles tested on paper is all you need.

Can you sight in at 200?
That’s what I do.

With most 308Win loads, if you aught in at 200yds, you’ll be roughly 8” low a 300yds, 16” low at 400yds, and 32” low at 500yds. That’s easy to remember without checking a dope card. 150gr loads might be a little flatter than that, but should be close enough for deer sized game.

Last edited:

Zeroing at 100 yards with an offset that gets you to where you want to be at whatever distance makes more sense than zeroing at longer distances. IE if you want to set for MPBR, it makes sense to validate your elevation is set for whatever you desire at the range but zero your windage @ 100 where it is not impacted nearly as much by the conditions.

Zeroing at 100 yards with an offset that gets you to where you want to be at whatever distance makes more sense than zeroing at longer distances. IE if you want to set for MPBR, it makes sense to validate your elevation is set for whatever you desire at the range but zero your windage @ 100 where it is not impacted nearly as much by the conditions.

I guess that's what I do. I zero the rifle to be 3 inches high at 12 o'clock at one hundred yards. When I shoot at greater distances at a range, the bullets behave as expected.

Fairly new to 308 , what is best sight in @ 100 yards for 150gr
1 inch or 2 inch high +/- , for general point and shoot 0-300 yards or so ?
Gonna depend on who you are. For myself I simply won't shoot 300 or more yds. So all my rifles are zeroed for Max Point Blank range at an 8" target. Pretty much everything is about 3" hiugh at 100yds and at zero around 275yds. Thing to do is zero your rifle, do it at 3" high at 100yds and then back off to different ranges and see where you at. You'd be fooking for the bullet to never be more thsn 4" high or 4" low. Doing that you have an 8" target to shoot at all the time while simply holding dead on!

3”, which is what you should use for maximum point blank range.
I suspect that will give you MPBR at an 8" target. That means out to max the bullet will never rise more than 4" and at max range will drop to 4". You can do what you want by simply changing the size of target at MPBR. My 243's are for plinking and some coyote's. Saw a coyote with t's head above the grass one time and figured I might be best off with MPBR at a 3" target. Actually works pretty well but the smaller target does limit you range but to max will keep it on a coyote head!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back