Caribou Gear Tarp

Bedding

HandgunHunter

I figured this was a good example and may help some of you out when you are working with your local gunsmith.

here is a aluminum bedded stock.....notice where all the wear is?

it’s an HS stock. This shows just how little contact this action had with the stock.

Every stock should be fully bedded. Glass bedding is the only way to do this.
841BF6A8-F651-4545-8D6E-DC52A7385094.jpeg

Good post. I took my Remington 700 Mountain Rifle and bedded the BC stock on it. I took off a little of the aluminum bedding block and skim bedded it with Devcon.

I started down this road as my Tikka stock had almost zero contact other than the pins. But a B&C stock seems to have solved most of that, not sure if I'm getting perfect contact, but it dang sure was an improvement. Maybe if I get bold I may try to bed the old one.

I started down this road as my Tikka stock had almost zero contact other than the pins. But a B&C stock seems to have solved most of that, not sure if I'm getting perfect contact, but it dang sure was an improvement. Maybe if I get bold I may try to bed the old one.

It’s really an easy process.

HS stocks have been some of the worst I’ve seen for contact with their aluminum bedding system. I agree all stocks should be bedded also.

I have several B&C stocks and one McMillan stock. I've never bedded any of my rifles and don't plan to.

I believe McMillan doesn't suggest bedding their stocks. I wonder if it has to do with how they contact the action?

McMillan states you don’t need to bed them but you can for a perfect fit. McMillan inletting is pretty spot on. You can even send in your barreled action for a very good fit.
I still bed all stocks including Mcmillan and Manners.

Clamp the stock in a vice, setup a dial indicator on the action, and zero it. Remove one all the action screws except one. If the dial indicator no longer reads zero, you need to fix the bedding. If not, apply light pressure to the barrel without moving the stock and check again. Repeat the process for both action screws. If nothing moves, your bedding is fine. I find it easier to just bed the rifle than to fiddle with checking the bedding and wondering if something is going to change some day.

Some of the best tinkering advice I've received was from Rancho Loco regarding a Mickey stock....he said, "do bed it."

I can't imagine anyone make's a stock that is a perfect fit, not even McMillian. Not even the stocks with bedding blocks. But I would suspect that they might be awful close though. Problem is I think that unless you send in your barreled action they are all inleted to some average form! Much like all gun FL sizing dies installed per instructions will work but doesn't mean the case fit's your rifle that well. All my bedding has been with round actions and wouldn't you know it, I got a Mod 70 years ago and not really comfortable with bedding it. I have to say though it's a hunting rifle and far more accurate as is than is needed. My Mossberg Patriot's pretty much th same with the bedding system they have. Fortunately they shoot better than expected! But for round actions, bedding is pretty simple for me. Float the barrel just a bit then get all bind out f the receiver and then float the barrel but more the second time. The irony is I think the factory rifle's today are coming better bedded than when I was young. Lone exception over the past 20 years or so was a Rem 700 ADL in a plastic stock. Absolutely the worst bedding I'd ever seen in any rifle stock. But fixed it and it shot really really well! Finally got rid of the junk stock and put on wood, great shooter!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back