Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Bear spray or gun?

The pepper spray we use in law enforcement on doped up meth tweakers has around 200,000 scofield heat units and it usually works pretty good. Every once in a while you hear about people that it didn't affect. When I got sprayed in the Academy it is literally like being lit on fire but with training you can fight through it.

It is my understanding that bear spray is 2 million scofield heat units which makes it understandable why it is so effective. Hunting in Wyoming unit 86 next year and I'll be carrying bear spray. I wonder what a taser would do to a charging bear? Probably would have trouble making contact through all the hair. LOL

So having had only minimal experience with charging grizzlies, I want the most effective, easiest to aim deterrent, possible. I carry bear spray.

Having attempted to save my own hide with a pistol in the past I can attest to the fact that it is less than ideal, and once the addrenalin is pumping you will be lucky to hit the bear in the body, much less the brain/spine shot that would be required to stop a charging grizz.

That being said, the one time I have hunted in grizz country I carried both. I have survived much more dangerous situations, so it seems silly to worry about the extra 12oz my .357 weighs. Seems like a small price to pay for a little better chance at survivial.

Living and hunting up here around grizzlies, I have to say it really frustrates me that I feel when I'm out in the woods just doing my thing, that the first thing I have to think about when I encounter a griz is whether he will actually get me before I get him, because I know that if there ain't toothmarks on my ass I'll be treated like some mass murderer if I kill that bear! I think it's crap! When I'm out there it's survival, and if I'm threatened whatever threatens me better look the hell out. I've been bluff charged and it sucks. I guarantee I will undoubtedly wait until probably too late when and if that fateful day comes because I don't want to get in trouble for killing a griz. I don't think that's right! I think that bear has every right to be there, but so do I. If I'm not molesting him he better not molest me. Pepper spray is great, but if the wind is bad it will blind you just like it will blind that bear! Probably both would be the best I guess. I will always have the pistol though.

I'm starting to catch on here. The bear spray crowd has looked at the research that shows it is far more effective than guns and you are much less likely to get mauled by the bear. They also prefer not to be shot by their partner in addition to being mauled.

In other words, the bear spray crowd is afraid of getting mauled or shot. The gun crowd, on the other hand, is afraid of getting spray in their eyes.* That about sums it up. :D

*In my experience, bear spray doesn't blind you - it dilates your pupils like the old eye exams did. You have to look away from any source of light.

PS: I don't believe you get in trouble for shooting a bear in self defense... I've never heard of someone getting in trouble even with under questionable circumstances. It might not make the news, however.

PPS: I carry spray while hunting, but I've always wondered how I'd react when carrying a rifle. It is cumbersome to grab the spray when holding a gun, and I don't think I would thrown my Precious on the ground on instinct.

PPPS: ran into two separate bears yesterday while fishing, but both were blacks and the one that showed himself 50' away couldn't give a rat's behind about me... just kept on walking and grazing. It is very helpful having your partner on the other side of the stream so they can watch for bears.

I saw a demonstration on tv one time that said if yer good with a pistol, have someone roll a basketball down a hill at 25 mph and see if they can hit it while its coming at you. We had a bear charge us on a hunt one time. He was 60 yards away when we first saw him. There was zero hesitation on his part and it happened in a split second. My guide started to unload his pistol has the bear closed from 30 - 10 yards and then it turned away. He never hit it. The guy already had his pistol out. I learned a valuable lesson with my spray. I had it on my hip with my jacket hanging slightly over the top of the case. I was also wearing a back pack. Due to all the fabric articles, I fumbled trying to get it out of the holster while the bear was charging. There was no way I would've had the spray out in time if the guide hadn't started shooting. I think the best way to carry spray would be in a bandolier style case where its right in front of you.

........ " I've been charged a few times and have yet to fire a round. Spring of 2013 almost put a .223 round into a large boar's skull, but he ambled off. ..... . . ."

That's 'cause them Grizz are smarter than a guy thinks. They KNOW about your reputation with the large boar Black Bear population! ;)

I saw a demonstration on tv one time that said if yer good with a pistol, have someone roll a basketball down a hill at 25 mph and see if they can hit it while its coming at you.
exactly...

We had a bear charge us on a hunt one time. He was 60 yards away when we first saw him. There was zero hesitation on his part and it happened in a split second. My guide started to unload his pistol has the bear closed from 30 - 10 yards and then it turned away. He never hit it. The guy already had his pistol out. I learned a valuable lesson with my spray. I had it on my hip with my jacket hanging slightly over the top of the case. I was also wearing a back pack. Due to all the fabric articles, I fumbled trying to get it out of the holster while the bear was charging. There was no way I would've had the spray out in time if the guide hadn't started shooting. I think the best way to carry spray would be in a bandolier style case where its right in front of you.
This is a serious problem in my mind, especially when carrying a rifle. I wish someone would think up a solution - I've tried wearing it on my wrist by putting my hand through the belt loop but it is a bit too tight. UDAP now has a chest holster http://www.udap.com/sprayholsters.htm or maybe wear it on the sternum strap of you pack.

I like the bear attack simulator he has...

IMO thinking either one is going to save your life more than the other is just wishful thinking... They can study the crap out encounters, but none of the studies show how many bears were bluff charging vs going to maul. Not sure how you factor that into a "study", but I've yet to see it in one. An estimated 90% of all charges are bluff charges. If a bear is actually coming for you, odds are you won't have time to draw either, even if you do get a shot off, or you spray out, you'll likely get chewed on.

The one thing I've noticed about most every mauling story... the victim didn't even see the bear coming.

There has been 3 people mauled in the last 3-4 weeks here in town... Same story, none of them saw the bear, or were making noise. They were hiking/jogging (one with earphones), or riding their mountain bikes and being quiet, and surprised a bear... the latest one, the guy was walking his dog off leash, and the dog brought the bear right to him.

IMO the absolute BEST bear deterrent is making noise and letting the bears know you're there. If they know you're around, they go the other way. A little tough when hunting, but I still do it in areas where I expect to see bears.

I generally carry spray when fishing, and a pistol when hunting. The main reason, is bear spray doesn't shoot through a tent..., and if I drop my spray in the river, I won't have go swimming :) Half the time I don't carry anything, the other half I might as well not be...

Bottom line, what ever helps you sleep at night... because if a bear is going to eat on you he's going to eat on you, seasoned or with lead.

Last edited:
I have found the answer!!

bear.jpg

I apologize for bumping this old thread but I want to tell few words about this.
The use of a bear spray is humane, and also prevents you from killing an innocent bear that might seem aggressive just from appearance. Add to this the fact, that even when shooting a bear, you might only wound it and that will make it go all grizzly over your hide.

Pepper spray is the best way to go; it will repel any bear, from an attacking grizzly to a docile black bear. A statistical (U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service report) fact is that when using a bear spray, 100% of the humans escape intact and without damage, while when using a gun, 50% of the time both the human and the bear will suffer injury or death.

So it's better if you will have bear spray than weapon. I bought Counter Assault Bear Deterrent 10.2 oz. it's very good bear spray. It comes with a holster, so you get a larger sized canister with an easy to reach the application.

One video for you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlaJsnEzjNE

Bear spray?Horse Hockey!!!Try it and Die It!lI've taken on Skunks Thatl" skin your Azz Raw!!:cool:

I shoot ALOT, and after my research into both sides and watching videos of bear encounters, I believe in a high stress situation, i will not have the accuracy I need in the time I have to stop a bear. But with the canister, I can just spray away, with no real need for accuracy. I even went so far as to purchase a kydex holster that allows me to spray the canister from my hip without removing it and no need to undo a flap over the top. With that however, I keep my rifle handy around camp, but the spray on my hip

I apologize for bumping this old thread but I want to tell few words about this.
The use of a bear spray is humane, and also prevents you from killing an innocent bear that might seem aggressive just from appearance. Add to this the fact, that even when shooting a bear, you might only wound it and that will make it go all grizzly over your hide.

Pepper spray is the best way to go; it will repel any bear, from an attacking grizzly to a docile black bear. A statistical (U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service report) fact is that when using a bear spray, 100% of the humans escape intact and without damage, while when using a gun, 50% of the time both the human and the bear will suffer injury or death.

So it's better if you will have bear spray than weapon. I bought Counter Assault Bear Deterrent 10.2 oz. it's very good bear spray. It comes with a holster, so you get a larger sized canister with an easy to reach the application.

One video for you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlaJsnEzjNE

^ New Jersey cat lady sneak on the forum?

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jon_G
Back