PEAX Equipment

Bear Pictures

Trying again
View

Whiskey and Lady with the bad news bear

[This message has been edited by George P (edited 03-16-2001).]

Nice looking walker dog....did'nt you just recently sell one?,....if so was that him??

------------------
chewin_md_clr.gif
GatoMan

This is my buddy Jimmy and I with a bear he took with my dogs in late Oct 99. This kill was personal with me.I had treed this bear several times and he would not stay treed no matter how the dogs put it to him. Treed him with my best dog Spot the week before we took this picture.100 yds from the tree and out he came.Spot jumped up and grabbed him and they fell to the ground.
Spots leg was severely broken.
A week later we took the only 2 dogs I had left,Whiskey and Lady and ran him again.This time we followed right behind the 2 dogs.They treed and out he came again with us hot on them.They stopped and bayed and we caught up.The bear ran right through them and Jim said he had a shot so I said take it.A measured 90 yds with a 12 gauge slug gun.Right through the chest and down the ridge they came tumbling,2 dogs and the dead bear.
That was one exspensive bear.Spots operations cost over 2500 to fix his leg.

Gatoman,not the same dog I just sold.He was Jack in the other pics I posted.
Hey Miller27, Thought you said i would never figure out how to post pictures here.LOL

Heres another one.This was opening day N.H. in 2000.quickest bear i ever killed.Struck from the rig,ran,treed and shot in less than 15 minutes.Woman in the middle shot it.She was from Pa. My buddy dan on the left and her husband on the right.Treed this bear with Lto R Jack, Spot ,Rock and whiskey is out of picture
View

Dang George, Great story!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Kinda adds more exciement when its personal like that.
cool.gif
cool.gif

George, Do you usually use a rig dog? Or can you hunt off a bait?

Congratulations George. I never said that you'd NEVER get those pictures up. See what you're capable of with the right instruction?
biggrin.gif
You did a nice job re-sizing them, too. Even a broken clock is right twice a day! LOL
biggrin.gif

George,
Got some pretty fair pics. there. Man I wish you and Tobey weren't so far away, we could hook up and go huntin. Keep the pics. comin and we'll B.S. with ya later.

------------------
CATMAN

Yes BCA I do alot of bear hunting.It is an obsession of mine.Last year(00) i didnt go as much as I would have liked to.I am working a full time job and also had 3 of my apartments
to rent out right during hunting season.The year before(99) I did a ton of hunting,for me at least.I hunted 19 days that kill season and treed or bayed 14 different bears,took 10 of them.I dont know if I will ever have a year like that again.The funny thing is I only had 3 dogs that season and I almost always hunt with just my own dogs.When my spot dog broke his leg I was down to 2.Killed 3 bears in 6 hunts with just the two of them.
Like I said ,that was one heck of a year for me.
This year should be a lot of fun.I found out Thursday that I am all set for a 2 month leave of absence at work during bear season.YAHOO !!!!!!! They are even going to pay all my benefits while I am out.Come on Sept !!!!!!

Josh, I start most of bears in N.H. rigging.We cant bait and run off them here.When I hunt in Maine I mostly run off baits,because I can.I would much rather start off baits than rig.Certainly no sure thing but usually more productive that way.Rigging is a lot of fun when the bears are moving,like in fall 99 around here.No nuts so striking them was pretty easy.Last year was alot tougher cause there was food everywhere.
One good thing rigging though.The tracks are usually a lot fresher although the bears may really be on the move and cover a lot of ground.Normally they are pretty tight to the baits I have found.Starting both ways have their good and bad points I guess.
Tobey, are your bears usually bedded close to the baits? How far would you say is average?

BCA, I was thinking of running an ad in Full Cry this summer to maybe take one or two dogs during kill season. I dont want to start a dog though I was hopeing I could find someone who had a decent dog that they wanted tuned up before their season opened.How much do you think I could charge for a steady,5 days a week or more,during kill season???
I figured I could use another dog when I was running this hard plus make a couple bucks to supplment the guiding.What do you guys think???

Great Pics George! I know what you mean by making it personal. I have a personal vendetta against an old gobbler around here. I've been hunting him for two years. Maybe this year...
smile.gif

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back