Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Bear hunting from water

Nick28

I always love watching Randy hunt black bears up in Alaska and for some reason I think it would be so cool to do it like him, and find the bears by either paddling around, drifting down a river, or having a small motor. I guess my question is, has anyone done this in any of the western states? If anyone has, what state and how did it go? I haven't done much research on this yet, when it comes to each states regulation and if this is allowed. This is just an idea that popped into my head and am just curious if anyone has done this. Went bear hunting in Idaho a couple years ago and I'm ready to try it again, but would love to do it from the water.

I’ve wondered this too. I live in NW Montana and the Lake Koocanusa, the north fork of the Flathead river and the Yaak river all seem like that may be possible. Likely other rivers would be doable for this as well. I doubt it’s the most effective method out there but it does seem like a lot of fun and could maybe catch a fish or two while waiting.

I know there are guys floating the Grande Rhonde in Oregon, drift boats and or rafts only, for spring bear. Haven’t talked to anyone who has done it but there are a lot of bears in the breaks.

Ya I don't think it would be the most effective method either, but I do think it would be a very cool way to hunt them and a lot of fun. I have heard that there are a lot of bears out there, never even been to Oregon but something I want to check out, that's for sure.

Key is finding food sources... seems like finding bears via boat anywhere other than AK would be a tall order. I would hazard that other then in a few specific areas where there are salmon runs you are basically using a boat to access an area and from there you are hiking a bunch and glassing for bears like any other bear hunt.

Ya, this is true. Probably would be best just to save up the money for Alaska. But it was a fun thought haha

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back