PEAX Equipment

Bear calibers

Shot my first one this year with my 375 RUM, DRT. 300 grain bulldozer I talked to several others that killed same area, all with 270 or 300 win mag, they all ran off and required follow up shots, some more then one. Now not sure where the initial hit was, but I think they were all using hornady SSt's?

@220yotekiller I think a .30-06 with 165 grain bullet is just about perfect for most big game hunting.

Look up the energy of whatever gun you use and if it's similar to a .30-06 with 165 grain bullet you are good to go. Obviously lots of wiggle room.

Here is AKs recommended shot placement, I always review this before going into the field as it's a bit different than I aim for deer and elk typically.
1631127816018.png
1631127846962.png

My largest bear was pushing 400# and dropped after 30-40yrds after one shot from a 25-06 at 260yrds.
30-30 and 180gr bullets took many threw the years.
I personally dont think black bears are hard to kill.
But i can say they go down like they were struck by lightning with a .338 win mag and 200+ gr. bullets.

I'm probably gonna use my Savage 111 in 257 Roberts AI with 120gr Partitions for PA bear this year.

Archery deer starts tomorrow, Oct.2nd.
My tree stand is 10 yards behind the camera.

Attachments

• Resized_MFDC0017_129248142515434.jpeg
    Resized_MFDC0017_129248142515434.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 6
A 30-06 would be a great cartridge for black bear.

My son shot a huge 460 pound black bear with my Ruger .450 Bushmaster. We used it because we were hunting over dogs and he needed a light/short gun to travel through woods quickly. However, I would NOT recommend it. I bought a Ruger Guide Gun in .375 Ruger Magnum and it a hell of a gun. With a a shorter barrel it has more energy/velocity than a .375 H&H. It’s a thumper.

Good luck!

@220yotekiller I think a .30-06 with 165 grain bullet is just about perfect for most big game hunting.

Look up the energy of whatever gun you use and if it's similar to a .30-06 with 165 grain bullet you are good to go. Obviously lots of wiggle room.

Here is AKs recommended shot placement, I always review this before going into the field as it's a bit different than I aim for deer and elk typically.
View attachment 193862
View attachment 193863
That’s a great tool for any bear hunter, it’s probably more important to understand a bears anatomy than everything else . Awesome contribution

View attachment 193862
View attachment 193863
Thank You, Wllm1313!

I've shared this with my friend/hunting partner who has never been bear hunting before.
This will be his first year.
Was hard to get him from thinking deer anatomy.
He understands now.

Out of all the big game in North America, I think bears are the animal that most people disagree on which equipment to use. This year my son and I used 2 270 Wins to kill 4 bears. Most likely we’ll be packing 270s again this next year.

OOOOOk guys, I have made a few conclusions about black bear hunting.
1) Black bears are seriously under rated.
2) They live in hell holes.
So my family and friends have spent a lot of time hunting black bears, with marginal success I might add. I have either seen or heard of from close friends, 3 out of 5 bears that have been hit have gotten away. I think that much of the problem is the calibers being used. Most of my friends and I used to shoot between 25 to 270 calibers. As of late we have been trading up to 7 Rem Mags.
I spent a very long evening last night on my hands and knees helping a close friend look for a bear that had been shot with a 257 Weatherby with a Barnes 100 triple shock bullet. I trailed him about 150 yards, a drop of blood about every 10 yards of so.
I have come to my opinion that to hunt black bears effectively is use a bare minimum of a 7mm Rem Mag. But I am seriously thinking of buying a 338 Win Mag or a 375 H and H. Anyone who have been actually successful with killing bears have an opinion?
Why would you not buy a.45-70 and be done with it?

My .338 WM has taken its fair share of bears. From Kodiak island brown bear weighing in around 1200lbs to a polar bear, to average black bears. (most of these critters taken by my grandpa with the rifle). Having 1 rifle that can do just about everything is helpful.

Don't get me wrong, I like having other guns, but I always grab the rifle my grandpa gave me! I'm comfortable shooting it and am extremely familiar with it.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back