Caribou Gear Tarp

Bear baits wind…. do you pay attention?

Coveyleader

Do you play the winds where you bear hunt?

Where I hunt, it’s the biggest hurdle, bears do not tolerate you at all. How about you?

I’ll go S far to say you have one time to kill a good boar, if he winds you, very low chance he comes back to the bait.

Yes and I’m careful to not hunt when the wind is wrong cause I have seen it slow the baits down. Unfortunately you can make guesses as to where the bears come from but till you hunt it and run camera extensively you don’t really know. I have always been very tempted to buy an zoo Ic machine and try to but till then I’ll just play the wind.

I agree 100% on your statement a big bear winds you and your done or at least for awhile.

I only "play the winds" regarding bait site set up and my best guess as to where bears will come from. In my experience, being winded at a bait site is not necessarily a show stopper, especially if you're the one running the bait since they'll get that smell even when you're absent. I've also seen bears come in even knowing that a person was sitting in a treestand.

To be fair, you did say "big" bears, and while my eight bears in nine years is good, few were "big".

Where do you hunt, Coveyleader?

I only "play the winds" regarding bait site set up and my best guess as to where bears will come from. In my experience, being winded at a bait site is not necessarily a show stopper, especially if you're the one running the bait since they'll get that smell even when you're absent. I've also seen bears come in even knowing that a person was sitting in a treestand.

To be fair, you did say "big" bears, and while my eight bears in nine years is good, few were "big".

Where do you hunt, Coveyleader?

I hunt the Mountain West, and AK, and when dealing with the older bears, once again, I’m seeing you have one time. I ended up with a pretty nice bear circled me for 20 minutes trying to get me and Sue to my setup, I got him.

The amount of drive by big boars this year is head scratching, some absolute giants tapping baits and gone never to be seen again.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back